Pork Loin and Sirloin Tip on Kettle

Fake Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This was my "birthday" party I posted about awhile ago. I'm selfish and wanted to celebrate my birthday in summer. We did about 5 lbs of pork loin brined for 36 hours with 6 cups water, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, thyme, whole peppercornsm, and bay leaves. Seasoned with Kickin Chicken and pepper. Set up my Performer with my very first Snake Method Got about 12 coals nice and hot and started the snake with chunks of cherry on top. The snake cruised at 300 for about 6 hours total (much more than I needed) with the vents all wide open. About 2.5 hours later, I pulled it at 152 degrees. It's a little higher than I wanted, but got distracted and this is once again proof that temperature can't guide all your cooking. This was juicy, tender, and delicious, and looked good to boot!

image_zps1513c8f6.jpg

image_zpsf4188a9e.jpg

image_zps9a656399.jpg

image_zps9edc13e6.jpg

image_zps52b44bd6.jpg

Then did the Sirloin Tip. Great marbling, and one of the last cuts from a local 1/4 cow we got from a friend's farm a year ago. Seasoned with EVOO, kosher salt and whole peppercorns. Threw it on for about 2 hours. Only real problem was at that temp, the outter edges were at about 140 and the center was 110. Might have to do a piece this large on a lower temperature. Eidther way, pulled and rested, sliced sides and threw the center back on for just a bit, and I don't think any quality was really sacrificed.

image_zps73e555e0.jpg

image_zps1121dcbc.jpg

image_zps8a483721.jpg

Just as the sirloin was finishing up the crabs showed up. This is the most gorgeous sight you'll ever see!
image_zps0422835a.jpg

IMG_4925_zpsfe1e1bc1.jpg

Plated pic with a little homemade cherry pie and pasta salad.
image_zps3839e573.jpg

Best part of the day was spending all week with my wife getting this ready, spending a full day with friends and family with good food! Can you tell my wife is a school teacher? She's more organized than anyone I've ever met, and one hell of a cook!
IMG_4929_zps5edb2bff.jpg

IMG_4918_zps59b6047e.jpg

Thanks to all that gave me feedback to make this cook possible. I stole/was inspired by Tonybel's Pork Loin. Followed basic from this Sirloin Tip cook http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23614

Good food pretty wimen & cold beer I'd call that a party, Nice digs too.

Great looking chow! I love the simplicity of large cuts of meat smoked on a kettle for a party. It is amazing how many folks you can feed off of a 22 inch grill when it is planned out like you did.

Looks like a great party, the food looks looks fantastic! Happy Birthday whenever it its. :grin:

Back