Weekend of firsts with pr0n

tjb27

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Wanted to try my first fatty this weekend. Used a mix of sausage and ground pork. Stuffed with an onion, red pepper, apple mixture and used Jack Stack BBQ Rub. And of course had to try the bacon weave on the outside. Had some challenges getting it together, but finally managed.

Figured I had lots of room left on the Ok Joe, so why not try a couple spatchcocked chickens as well? One with the Jack Stack rub and the other with a Citrus seasoning.

Thought they turned out pretty good. Few things I want to change with the next fatty, but this one was tasty. The chickens turned out great as well, very juicy yet. And it all finished in just about 2.5 hours smoked with a mix of oak & apple around 275 degrees (on average).

That's the way to do it. Fill that smoker up! Looks like some great tasting food. If your ever lonely, call me! Uhm.... in a manly sort of way.

Good looking fatty and the chicken ain't shabby either!:biggrin1:

Both the fatty (I love fatties) and the chicken looked great. What did you want to change with the fatty?

Looks great! Got the smoker going, fill that sucker up. Makes for a more moist environment.

Both the fatty (I love fatties) and the chicken looked great. What did you want to change with the fatty?

Well I had a few issues putting it together. Looks like I should have put it back in the fridge for a bit after getting it rolled out in the ziploc bag. It got a little warmed up and I was basically forming a meatloaf after that :wacko:

- I also made waaaay too much stuffing - lesson learned.
- Next time I want to use regular bacon instead of the thick cut stuff we had.
- Also wanted a spicier sausage, or maybe just 2 lbs of sausage instead of ground pork.
- And finally needed to go heavier with the rub/seasoning in general.

A few things to work on for next time! :grin:

Back