First country ribs....lesson learned but still great.

S

sawtooth

This is yesterday's weber kettle fast/hot (1 hour) country rib cook with hickory smoke. Cooked them 100% indirect at about 350. No direct heat because they were sandwich bound and I did not want a crust. Pulled them off at about 150F and let them rest 15 minutes. They were fantastic!

I think they could be more tender. I will low/slow these with the 3:2:1 method next time..just for kicks.

8693954182_825a22db44_z.jpg

Hopefully a lesson learned is that:

1. Country Style Ribs aren't ribs at all. They're small sliced butts and butt-bits. All the lessons talked about regarding cooking ribs are moot, because these aren't ribs...

Yup! ^^^^

Cooking 3 2 1 is just a waste of foil.

Yup! ^^^^

Cooking 3 2 1 is just a waste of foil.

Agreed. I learned that they come from the shoulder. I love them though.
Wouldn't foiling them make them tender?

How do most folks do country ribs around here?

shoulder = picnic (bottom portion) + boston butt (top portion)

I'm not much for cooking country style ribs myself, because IMHO they just dont make great BBQ. Good grilled munchies; sure...

I like to put country style ribs on smoke for a couple hours then into a pan with some BBQ sauce cover and simmer/braise until they pull apart easy. Good eats. Cheap too.

I like to put country style ribs on smoke for a couple hours then into a pan with some BBQ sauce cover and simmer/braise until they pull apart easy. Good eats. Cheap too.

Thanks, I will give that (much longer time in moisture) a shot.

I put EVOO on them and sprinkle some Yard Bird on, then cook them direct on the UDS at around 350 degrees with a couple of chunks of apple wood. They only take about 20 minutes that way. When they're done, I slice them into little medallions and serve 'em up. My kids love them (and so do I.)

I love doing them indirect on the Weber just like you were, around 300 for a couple hours. Sometimes spritz them with applesauce periodically and mop them before pulling. I take them to the verge of fall-apart tender. I like cutting them with a knife, but tender enough that a knife is optional.

Country style ribs are great if you cook them indirect till tender. They come from a butt so cook em like a butt.

Real Country Style Ribs

Real, I say real, country style ribs do NOT come from the butt or shoulder of hog.

DSC01695.jpg

They are cut out of the loin section of the hog and are a real treat. And yes, using foil works great with these ribs in my opinion.

DSC01694.jpg

Spend the time looking for the real thing and it is out there and you will throw rocks at that stuff that most stores try to pass off as country style or Western ribs.

Back