Sirloin Tip Help

Jbomb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Never done a Sirloin Tip. Started at 7:30. Cooked at 225. 8.4 lbs. Checked at 11:30. Already at 140 degrees. Pulled off smoker. My question is should I not wrap it since its already so high in temp. I didn't think it would cook that fast. Not sure what the cook time is on a Sirloin tip.

It was on the lower grate of a WSM. And the cook temp was more like 250 probably. I just can't imagine it cooking that fast.

Last edited:
That seems completely normal too me, if not a little slow. What are you trying to do with it? Sliced or pulled? If you wants sliced, its done. If you want pulled, it needs a good while yet to get to around 195.

I want to do it for sammys. So slice it. I'd say it's probably a little more done than I wanted but what do you do. First time. I guess I next time to check after about 2 hours.

Gonna let it sit overnight. Then slice with slicer to make steak sammys.

I do this exact cook very often to create roast beef sandwiches.

I start with smoking at 225 -275 on the BGE. until 105deg internal. Then I sear over direct heat on all sides around 700 degrees until it reaches 115. I let it rest for 30 - 40 minutes at room temp so it cooks itself to about 120-125 internal. Then it goes into the fridge until the next day or the evening. After it rests and is completely cool, I slice it paper thin on the slicer.

Top it off with sauteed onions & peppers w/sharp provolone. I usually put a small dish of au jus on the side for dipping. Makes killer sandwiches.

How long does it take to get to the 105 mark at that temp? Im sure it depends on the wieght.

It should be fine for sammiches as long as you slice it deli thin across the grain. Removing around 130 would of been better though.

On the rest, I'd let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so before wrapping in foil or whatever. That will give the meat a chance to cool down and relax a bit before the wrap. Should help keep carryover to a minimum.

Ya I am ready for round two of this one. I still think it will be ok for sammys. But could have been much better. I guess it's all part of the learning.

I don't recall the exact timing but I usually figure in the range of 2 hours, more or less.

Back