Defending $25/lb brisket

I'll just say it sucks that some have to pay that price, but location is what it is. You do what you got to do...

Yee...Haaa

I'm guessing you have never owned your own business?

I'm glad to see that somebody else tenderizes brisket by stomping on it with their bare feet. I would recommend taking it out of the plastic first. Dang, now my secret's out.

and in NYC to boot? No thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Now if you lived down South I could imagine a tone of elitism but it seems you're as north as us. There is a growing group of people here making massive amount of sacrifices to cook BBQ the old school way relying on simply wood and charcoal while many in Texas and the carolinas have switched to gassers.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you? There's nothing among these pit cooks passion that you'd be interested in trying? What about NYC located bbq would put you off?

Hell, I bet a porterhouse at a prime steak house will cost you close to 100/person for the meal. 25/lb is a steal. I wish I could visit NYC just once. I'd make it a point to visit the joint.

Let's do some math here, you will be surprised what it cost when you or I cook the food.

This is KC prices, inflate as necessary to make NY prices.

12 pound packer at $3 per pound = $36

This probably actually yields 7 pounds of meat.

Fuel for the cook $6
Spices $2-$3
Paper Towels/Gloves/Aluminum Foil $2
Disposable Cutting Board $1
Cost for capitial expense of buying the Smoker Cooker, cutlery, temp control $5-$50 depending on how much you spent and how often you use it.
BBQ Sauce $2
Injections/Marinade $2

I am sure I am missing stuff, but we are at between $56-$100 for that 7 pounds of meat so between $8-$14 per pound of cost. That doesn't cover any labor, overhead or profit AND those are Kansas City Prices.

$25 in NYC for good brisket is a very reasonable price.

I think your numbers are spot on for just about anywhere, the overhead costs are what gets you. For the restaurant business, you can figure overhead and labor at 30% to 40% of total cost to customer. At $25, that would mean that each pound of meat has indirect overhead costs of $7.50, add that to your base cost of $14 a pound, and you find that you are at $21.50 per pound/cost out the door. A 14% margin, if you assume national average costs.

I don't doubt that 1) charging $25/lb in NYC for brisket is necessary to keep the doors open and 2) there are people in NYC who are making enough to justify spending that much for BBQ. I don't live there and don't make that kind of money, so I will just be happy with my pork butts in my back yard in Virginia. And if I am spending that kind of money, it will be on seafood and not tough pieces of beef cooked for a long time.

And if I am spending that kind of money, it will be on seafood and not tough pieces of beef cooked for a long time.

Actually the funny thing is that the wife is endlessly wanting us to go to seafood restaurants. I never do and I love seafood. My thinking is usually for the amount I'd pay for dozen oysters and 2 entrees at a restaurant I can shuck my own, boil a lobster, steam some clams and all for under $100 and under an hour. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

But I wouldn't say someone who enjoys seafood restaurants are suckers. If someone wanted recommendations to some I have plenty. This is a far cry from what you hear plenty of haters say about BBQ joints. That it OUGHT to be $4 for a sandwich or the like.

Back