CL Finds = New project

mn_big_dog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
mini-2012-08-26_20-00-12_150.jpg

Was lucky enough to find a 22.5" Platinum on CL for only $40 a few days ago, and picked up a couple Smokey Joe Silvers for $20 last week. My original plan was to turn the Silvers into a couple Mini-WSM's and keep the Platinum as-is. Well......when I went to pick up the Platinum, I found out there was a big crack almost the whole length of the table. I thought to myself.."not a big deal, I'll fix it with some epoxy, and it's still a good deal at $40". After sitting outside this afternoon and smoking some chickens (HERE), I was thinking...."Man it would be nice to have a prep/work table out here". Plus, I need somewhere for the mini's to sit after they are built. I started coming up with a plan. I'm going to use the tube frame of the platinum to mount the 22.5" to a custom built table that will also have the 2 mini's flush mounted next to each other, with just the pot and top rising above the table. And just for good measure.....I'm going to flush mount the new 18" x 24" cutting board I just bought right next to the 22.5". My step-dad is a genius when it comes to building things and woodworking, so I'll enlist his help with the build (Plus he has all the tools).

Here's my plan...a artist I am not.....

mini-2012-08-26_21-53-25_937.jpg

Top view.....

mini-2012-08-26_21-53-05_689.jpg

Thoughts?....comments?.....concerns?

i assume you are going to replace the table to fit the minis? overall i think this idea is brilliant. can't wait to see the resaults.

Yeah...the only thing I'll be using from the Platinum is the kettle itself and the two tubes.

I like it, Only I would just replace the plastic with wood and extend the table a little. I don't think you need to completely redesign the table just add to it. But either way it would be really cool.

I'm looking for something more permanent, more stable and with a lot more room. So I think a whole new unit will be the way to go. Plus, the original setup seems too low to me.

I like it, now I want one of those too, fark why does that keep happening? :mad:

You mention that you thought the set up is low. Have you considered the height added by the pots on the minis?

I think your idea is brilliant! Good Luck. And the more you have to fabricate the better!

The "low" part I'm more worried about is the work/prep area. I'm 6'2" and bending over to the height of the current platinum table to prep would do a number on my lower back. Maybe this means I'm getting old?

Back