2006 Competitions

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This might be a little early, but I am trying to decide which competitions I will try to attend next year. I can probably swing competing in three, and maybe attending a couple more, but I would really appreciate your input. BTW, I would like to attend comps where brethren are competing, as this is a great chance to get to know some of you. Also, I am looking in the South Carolina, Eastern Tenn, Georgia, and Northern Fla areas to compete.

Willy T will be all over the area to your North East next year--I bet.
Lots of KCBS events in that area.

FBA has Barnesville, GA, and Manchester TN up your way.
Also, Crestview and Lake City FL south of you.

The one event you definitely do not want to compete in is Dillard.
Dave and I have too much stiff Competetion there allready--don't need you to add to our problems----
redface.gif
redface.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

2006 schedules are up on their websites--poke around and see what you like.
Brethren teams will be at most of the majors down in this region next year.
Also, watch the National BBQ news, the Bullsheet, and the local paper for local non-sanctioned events. You are in a major Metro area--many smaller towns around--should be some smaller cookoffs that are a lot of fun.

You will have lots of events within a 4 to 5 hour drive--lucky you!
icon_biggrin.gif

Happy "event shopping"
icon_biggrin.gif

TIM

Noah, I'm not familiar with Florida and Georgia events myself but I'm replying because of the contests numbers you were looking at. In my education I've received from PooBah, during conversations and emails, he has told me that his feeling is that a guy really needs to participate in six events before he REALLY starts to know how to handle it all and before he really starts to learn what the judges are looking for. If I recall correctly, Phil said it was right at his sixth event when things just started to click. He gave me that advice when I was trying to determine if I should do the small unsanctioned but KCBS supervised event last month. I took it as he was advising me to get in all the contests I could ASAP so as to get to that sixth contest more quickly. I got in three this season and plan to get a minimum of six and maximum of eight contests in 2006. My reasoning for mentioning all this is that if you want to follow the advice of the Grand PooBah, if you can swing the costs and time off work, you might consider trying to get six contests in in 2006, simply to get to where things just "click" (in Phil's words) sooner. Phil might have additional input here...

By the way... just a warning: This chit is addicting as hell! If you plan on three, you'll get into July and be done and will start craving it again! Budget or get sponsors to help out so that you won't be S.O.L. when the addiction comes calling! After three in four weeks, I felt I was ready for a break... but now it's been three weeks later and there are no more up here! Gotta wait until March or April! It really does get in your blood!

Noah,

There are a bunch of MIM type events (pork specific) in the south and central GA area. The biggest is the Pig Jig but I know after talking with Myron Mixon that there are other events of this type all over the southeast.

You are welcome to come to FL for the FBA events - I know there is at least one (maybe two or more) in the Jacksonville, FL, area. Seems one is FBA and there is, I believe, a KCBS event up there, too. FBA is working to get more events in north and north-central FL. Douglas, GA, also has the Best of the Best sponsored by the National BBQ News - it just completed and they have both Open and Invitational contests.

Marianna, FL, did a MIM event last year and I think it's planned for 2006, too.

Check the calendars at:

www.flbbq.org (FBA)

and

www.kcbs.us (KCBS)

as well as

www.memphisinmay.org for Memphis in May qualifiers.

Each of these sites also have the rules available so you can get a head start on what's expected. FBA and KCBS are very similar.

I haven't started a 2006 contest list as of yet.I try to hit most of the contests in this area.I usually post on my website the events we are gonna be at.
For sure:Hickory NC,Tryon NC,Union SC, and Shelby NC.Hickory or Tryon is a must to compete at, if your close.They are the largest payin' and Tryon usually has 80 plus teams.Then I'm sure there will be more to pick & choose as the new year rolls around.Might even sneak down into Fla. if I get the bbq bug before things get crankin' in this area.Contests don't usually get rollin' good til spring.But,I noticed a new contest in Rockingham,NC in March 06'.
South Carolina has started a bbq association and might get more contests started in this area.The ones they're doin' round here now are kinda MIM style .Alot of just pork only contests(butts,shoulders,and whole hog) with blind and on site judging.

Noah, your really in a good region.There's probably a contest you could go to every weekend in a three state area if you want to.If you see us out on the circuit come on in hang out or we might jus' put ya to work:grin:.

Willy T.

Last edited by a moderator:
I judged a contest in Lenoir City, TN, a little past Knoxville going West. It was their first year, but it was well organized. They put on a good event. They had a good mix of teams from first timers to guys that had done 15 events this year. There is also one in Sevierville, TN which is getting close to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area, but I don't know anything about it.

Back