Propane Water Heater suggestions for setup

Fornia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We picked up one of those Triton propane water heaters...realize we could have done better, but it's a major improvement.

Anyway....

Was curious if anyone had any suggestions for how to mount these at competitions? We were thinking of making something to mount it off one of the 'swing arms' (if that's what its called!) that close up after we close the ramp on the trailer (its a haulmark if I'm incorrectly naming those things). We only thought of this as we normally set up the wash station next to the back of the trailer.

Also, am I correct in thinking we'll need to split the water somewhere after the community split but before the heater? Maybe not though...

Appreciate any and all advice!

I mounted ours on the back of a hand truck. Built a frame for our utility sink that bolts to the front of the truck. Propane bottle underneath. Just tip it back and roll off the trailer, connect one hose and you're good to go. We set a plastic folding table next to it to hold dishes and a drying rack. Works good!

Looks easy enough to hang almost anywhere. I would imagine you'd want a splitter from the main supply with one branch to your heater, and one to a separate hose for just cold fresh water.

I have a large plastic utility/laundry sink from Lowe'a and I have 2 screws on the back of the sink that I attach the Triton to, but I like the hand truck idea, especially since I have 2 old ones that have been dust collectors for a long time. I would like to see picks of that as well.

Thanks for the ideas! Like all of them, especially the hand truck as been said a few times.

We got into the trailer today, reorganized stuff...etc.

When we opened the Triton heater, it has a metal swinging handle on the top. We put it over the end of those swing bars...HA! Didn't really need to think much. Again, I over thought something in this endeavor.

We'll use a u-bolt on the bottom mounting plate on the heater to keep it more secure/stable.

But I'm still not counting out the hand truck idea! :mod: Great idea there!

I will be anxious to see some pics of your setup as well. What do you do if you don't have a constant water supply to hook up too?

I will be anxious to see some pics of your setup as well. What do you do if you don't have a constant water supply to hook up too?

That's a good question!

Here in Georgia 95% of the contests we do supply water taps. For the few that don't we fall back on bus tubs and a large drink cooler full of hot water supplied with a turkey fryer. We carry bus tubs anyway to provide the rinse and sanitizing stations.

I snapped a couple pics yesterday:
523772_2017628375965_1701561545_1021569_1275399077_n.jpg

The wooden frame is made of 2x6 pressure treated pine. It was needed to give enough clearance below the sink to fit the gas tank, and it brings the basin height up to a more comfortable position to save your back. The tank is held in place with an old leather belt, but you can use a ratchet strap, rope or whatever you have handy. The drain is a 25 ft. section of layflat hose from a pool supply store. We normally roll it out away from the campsites to drain in the grass, but if we are on asphalt or there is no safe place to put gray water we replace the long hose with a shorter section that drops into a 5 gal bucket for hand disposal.

549768_2017628255962_1701561545_1021568_844453683_n.jpg

The system is supplied by a single hose, which is tee'd to split water lines for both the heater inlet and the cold water side of the faucet. Here you see the sink supply (brass fitting) connected to a manifold, along with another hose. That hose is a 15 ft. section with a sprayer on the end that we use both in the sink and for general jobs like filling the hold-down buckets for the EZ-Ups. The empty taps on the manifold are offered to neighoring teams who don't have a hose long enough to reach a tap, or when the organizer doesn't proved a tap for each team. We feed the manifold with one or both of a pair of 50 ft. drinking water hoses. Garden hose is cheaper, but then if you fill your coffee pot from the sink your Java tastes lousy!

I think that about covers it. Inspiration for this setup goes to Bryan Bevil of Southern Paradise cooking team for the mobile sink concept, and EZ-Tankless for the handcart mount idea. We've found it to make both clean-up and loading much less bothersome for the Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse team. Hope you can use some of these ideas, and if they work for you, remember to wave to us from the stage!

-GF

Fornia..what did you mean by you realized you could have done better?

Does anyone think the coleman is a better unit than the Triton.

What would happen if you used the flavored propane?

That's a great setup. Thanks for sharing the pics and details on how you did that.

My pleasure. In case anyone is looking at making their own mobile sink and needs the heater, we got ours from EZTankless.com. Uses a couple flashlight batteries to auto-light the burner, so no electric needed. If you buy a heater from them, use the discount code SPBBQ001 and you'll save a few bucks.

That looks like a pretty cool setup, and probably more reliable than coleman as it appears to be designed for higher output. A little bigger than what I'd want though, but very cool setup!

Back