View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

It's definitely a preference thing and frankly knowing yourself. If you really like the
traditional types (I do, but they aren't for everyone) know that you'll have someone
staying up all night and they'll be less than at-their-very-best come turn-in time.
Trade offs. As to which cooks best, the frank truth is the best cookers are the ones
manned by folks that know how to use them. I went up against stiff competition here
this past weekend and beat a previous national champion and Stumps and a few
other notables (who weren't at The Jack) with a simple Lang 60 (loaded to the gills
with 9 whole pork shoulders averaging 20lbs each, 12 racks of BB's, and 2 9lb pork
butts [for Peoples Choice]). We were 7th in a tough field of 22 (only 4 local teams)
and as best I can tell were a very close 2nd on a table to the winner or 2nd place
team (9.9 final scores for all 5 blind judges). My point is this: an offset cooker
can cook as good as any of the nice set-it-and-forget-it types. For that matter,
so can the smaller WSM's, Green Eggs, etc. Definitely consider transportability. If
you're going in just 1 vehicle, consider that if you have a pull-behind model (ala. Lang
or Jambo) that you can't have another trailer full of *stuff* (tables, chairs, tents).
However, with the smaller easier to transport models, you get a trailer and *voila*
you're in business. They compete very well in KCBS, IBCA, most backyard comps.
However, if you're in an area with MBN and want to do that style, you'd be hard
pressed to compete effectively with a few of these.

It gets back to knowing yourself, what you like, what you do well, and how you
like to travel.

Oh, and, THANKS for your service!!!!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote