Fitting a brisket on an 18.5" WSM?

jimithing78

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for fitting a brisket on an 18.5" WSM? Every brisket I've seen in the store is too long to fit. I bought the smallest brisket I could find (8 pounds) and it's still too long. How bad would it be to cut the end of it off so it'll fit?

I thought I was going overboard (so did my wife) when I bought my 22 WSM. I'm now glad I did for this very reason.

If it were me, I'd cut it in two........the brisket, not the WSM. :thumb:

Dave

I have that problem with my charcoal ECB too. I've used a beer can chicken holder (the metal base that holds the beer can and the chicken) to prop up the center of the brisket. I drape it right over the top. I've done a 10 pounder this way and it usually shrinks up enough that I end up removing the holder at some point too.

I've thought about separating the point and flat and cooking them on different racks, too, but haven't tried that yet.

I'm sure there are lots of ways but this thread may help you.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Looks like a very helpful thread, thanks.. I'll have to read through it. I'm a little concerned about folding it over like that because it seems like the flat will get done way before the point. But I'm willing to try anything once. Maybe it'll make more sense after I read through the thread.

I thought I was going overboard (so did my wife) when I bought my 22 WSM. I'm now glad I did for this very reason.

If it were me, I'd cut it in two........the brisket, not the WSM. :thumb:

Dave

Kinda what I was thinking. I suppose it's better to separate the point and flat rather than cut it directly in half.

How bad would it be to cut the end of it off so it'll fit?
It wouldn't be bad, but it isn't necessary.

When I trim a brisket, I seperate the flat and the point completely. The point gets put in the center of the top grate fat side down, and the flat gets draped over the top of the point fat side down (for comps at least). If it is still too long, fold the thin end of the flat underneath the flat.

I can get briskets on each grate doing it this way.

Last edited:
when I had a wsm I just jammed it on..at some point during cooking the meat shrinks back anyway

I know I have seen pics of people that have put foil around the ends of the meat too. I believe this is done more to shield the meat from the heat coming up the sides when water pan is used but it will also help keep the meat off the sides until it shrinks.

I do 14+ pound briskets all the time on my 18.5. I tuck the two ends of the brisket into the handles, which are wrapped in HD foil. The foil serves two purposes, it acts as a heat shield to keep the outer ends from burning, and if you spray it with Pam it keeps the ends from getting stuck in the handles.
Hold one hand under the brisket in the middle and let it fold down like a tent. Then lower the brisket down and tuck the two ends in. It will eventually shrink down and fit nicely. Three examples shown below.

b03.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Do you have some objection to trimming it to fit? There is plenty of crap to trim off of a packer.

I do 14+ pound briskets all the time on my 18.5. I tuck the two ends of the brisket into the handles, which are wrapped in HD foil. The foil serves two purposes, it acts as a heat shield to keep the outer ends from burning, and if you spray it with Pam it keeps the ends from getting stuck in the handles.
Hold one hand under the brisket in the middle and let it fold down like a tent. Then lower the brisket down and tuck the two ends in. It will eventually shrink down and fit nicely. Three examples shown below.

b03.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

This gets my vote. My keg is about the size of an 18.5" WSM and foil under the tips helps a lot.

This is why I really care for my WSM. When I cook I usuallt cook for a group. I travel with mine but still cooking for 6 or 8 isnt unheard of. The ONLY reason I went with the 18.5 is because it is easy to haul in my camper. Give me a UDS over the 18.5 any day.

Back