e mail scam from Betty Cates address

CajunSmoker

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just received the following e mail from Betty Cates (Ron Cates mother) email address. I sent her a message back letting her know, but I wondered if any other people on the Smoke on the Water mailing list was getting it too?

Hope you get this on time,sorry I didn't inform you about my trip in UK for a program, I'm presently in UK and am having some difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money and other valuable things were kept. Presently i have limited access to internet, I will like you to assist me with a loan of $1450 to sort-out my hotel bills and to get myself back home.

I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively, I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with,I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return, let me know if you can be of any help. I don't have a phone where i can be reached.
Please let me know immediately.

Love

Betty

Well...maybe this is how Ron plans on increasing funds for the new superrace of bbq organizations...I'll go back to my room now.

Yep, already sent it to Ronnie, so he could help get her email account locked down.
Hope she didnt get hacked past her yahoo account!!!

I've seen that email a few times! Last it was on Date Line. People have to keep on their toes now a days!

But if you all feel the need to help someone out of a tight jam, I have this Bridge I need to sell!

Terry

Yes, I got that as well - thought it was a bit odd, as she doesn't usually e-mail me at that address!

Lynn H.

Don't 'ya just love the broken English in it? FYI: 99.999% of these come from overseas.
A few years back they came mainly from Nigeria. Not that Nigerians have backed off,
but there are now plenty of copy cats out there. Never, under any circumstances,
send any of your personal identifiable information through email or any public forum
such as this.

By personally identifiable, I mean the combination of your name plus any of
the following:

Social Security Number (never, under any circumstances, send this)
Account Number(s) (no bank numbers, no credit card numbers, nothing)

Any passwords to anything (email, etc)

less sensitive, but bad idea are:

Date Of Birth
Mothers Maiden Name (used for security questions all over)

etc.

They get very clever. We had an email server crash a few months back. We had
to make it public (long story). Anyway, a very enterprising scam artist read this,
then went through our online database and plucked out every email ID (this is
public, so that's no big deal). Then he proceeded to send everyone on campus an
email stating that he's from IT and we need to re-verify everyones password, asking
them to send their email address and password to him.... Luckily, our spam filters
caught most of it, so very few people actually received his scam email.

Anyway, be careful.

I asked Betty last year to "hide" the email addresses for just this reason. Easy enough to do, but too late, we're all on the BBQ Scam group now for some hacker.

Russ

Yea I got it to I just deleted it and contacted Ronnie.

Can't wait for little rock I'm doing a practice cook this weekend of all four categories I've made a new chicken rub and sauce this winter and I'm really happy with it.

Hey Mo if you need a taster I am right next to Woody's :roll::biggrin:

So that's a party at Moe's place Saturday at 1:00 pm, right :twisted:?

I got something similar in message via Facebook instant message a while back. WEEIIIIRD!!

Had the same thing happen to me and a friend of mine. Email address was hacked into, all email and contacts were deleted.

Both of us had facebook accounts. Be careful when you play those facebook games or apps and you give them access to your email accounts. I'm convinced the hacker came from Facebook.

Back