• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Entry Box Warmers

Capn Kev

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has probably been asked before, but where do you find the entry box warmers that I see a lot of teams using? ...the ones that keep the foam entry boxes warm during transport to the turn-in area?

Thanks in advance!

Cap'n Kev

i use a warming bag similar to what the pizza service use. The last competition with the weather in the 40's the judge opened all the lids to the entries and laid it on the table waiting for the table judge to pick it up. what a waste on keeping the entry warm.

There was actually a thread on this within the past week with some links posted. Some ppl use the Keep things cold shopping bags you can get at most warehouse / grocery stores. Some people use Pizza bags. After looking for decent stuff, this is the one I would get when I get one...http://www.ultimatepizzabag.com/pizza_bags.htm - PBV2/14B

dmp

If you have someone who can sew, they aren't hard to make. My favorites are from the Amazin' Blazin' contest a few years back and Trish Trigg made some for Christmas a couple of years ago. Need a small 1/4" plywood piece and two 1/2" dowls for handles. be glad to send dimensions.

We use one of those insulated covers that come with the "Pyrex" transportable (9"x13") casserole dishes. Works great!! :-D

i use a warming bag similar to what the pizza service use. The last competition with the weather in the 40's the judge opened all the lids to the entries and laid it on the table waiting for the table judge to pick it up. what a waste on keeping the entry warm.
I would have screamed to high heaven! Neither the Reps nor the turn-in judges are not allowed to open ANY of the boxes. From the 'KCBS Contest Representive Advisories"

<B>6.25 Subject: Reps Opening Boxes
Question: Can a Rep or volunteer view a box before judging?​
</B>
Opinion: A volunteer or a rep is not allowed at any time to open a cooker’s entry box unless directed by that cook. It can only be opened at the judge’s table for appearance and passing out of samples. The only time it can be opened by a rep is if it is to correct an error.​
February 17, 2006

We also use the bag from the "Pyrex" transportable (9"x13") casserole dish. They have a incert in the bottom you can heat in the mirowave. It keeps the box warm durring transport. The dish works great to transport regular food when not at a competition.
Thanks
Mike

Thanks for all the replies! I went ahead and bought the Anchor Hocking version of the 9x13 portable pan with insulated carrier.

We also use the bag from the "Pyrex" transportable (9"x13") casserole dish. They have a incert in the bottom you can heat in the mirowave. It keeps the box warm durring transport. The dish works great to transport regular food when not at a competition.
Thanks
Mike

Didn't think that was legal according to KCBS rules. Wouldn't the heat source have to be charcoal or wood? Not trying to start an argument, real question.

I agree with dan in theory, but I would think that you could pour hot water over it. I only say that because of the reports of ppl pouring hot water in a cooler or Cambro to warm it up. What's the difference here?

dmp

Good question. I had not thought about that. I'll have to ask my KCBS rep.

Phew, can we just get to contest season?.....lol, it is usually about this time that we split hairs on rules.......when in doubt, ask, or suffer the consequences.....
But, with that said, I just use the premade ones like Trish had made in the past....works well, but, unless it is a huge contest, with a ton of walking involved, I dont bother....or, cold outside.......very very cold

Honestly, I had always thought they were more of a "good-luck-made-by-loving-hands" accessory more than anything else. To be fair, we only do two or three contests a year where cold weather is a factor -- at most of the rest, we're lucky the entry doesn't cook itself in the box!

we only do two or three contests a year where cold weather is a facto
you mean you guys are not going to come do some of the snow, and frozen tundra contests this year?,......lol.....

Didn't think that was legal according to KCBS rules. Wouldn't the heat source have to be charcoal or wood? Not trying to start an argument, real question.

I agree with dan in theory, but I would think that you could pour hot water over it. I only say that because of the reports of ppl pouring hot water in a cooler or Cambro to warm it up. What's the difference here?

dmp

I've been interested in this debate as well...could go either way, would love to hear the opinions out there, (sorry if this is a highjack)

Back