• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Venison

Dcnlarry

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Have a friend that has a few nice size deer and he wants me to smoke some rear quarters. Any one ever do this and if so do you have a recipe or suggestions, marinades or rubs, etc. Thanks and cheers to all.

I have cured and smoked the rear haunches of deer and they turn out like really lean ham.....no kidding it's really good....deer like most wild game can be very lean and not really a good choice for smoking outright sometimes it's best to reserve to a quick sear over a hot flame....especially the back strap..

Cant wait to see where we go with this, got plenty of deer coming my way.

I just did a deer ham about a week and a half ago following advice from this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1086440

Soaked overnight in salt water, then marinaded in this for two hours:

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T. dry mustard
1 T. coarsely ground pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley"

I let the marinade sit overnight in fridge to get all the flavors mixed...

Cut slits in the meat and poke in some whole garlic cloves. Covered in bacon and smoke for probably 4-5 hours until it hit 145. (The office raved about the flavor - no "gamey" taste at all... Served in tortillas with lettuce, grated cheese, and salsa.

larry, check out this recipe I came up with a while ago. I have been doing it more and more since then and it keeps getting better and better

have yet to have any complaints

i like to completely wrap it in bacon. keeps it moist and juicy and if you don't like the ham you can always eat the bacon!!:eusa_clap

Your recipe is invisible... or maybe it's a ghost recipe... :biggrin:

oooopps .... sorry!

Brine;
2 1/2 gallons apple juice
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar in the raw
1/2 cup peppercorns
1/2 cup mustard seeds
3-4 bay leaves
Rub
Salt
White pepper
Garlic powder
Rosemary

Mop Sauce
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup maple syrup
4 tablespoons Coleman's mustard
3-4 cloves roasted garlic

bring 1/2 gallon of apple juice add salt and sugar stir until dissolved, add spices boil for a minute or two to release flavor.
combine with the rest of the apple juice in an ice bath to cool brine down
submerge hindquarter, let stand for 7 hours

remove meat from brine, pat dry.
rub with salt, white pepper, garlic powder and rosemary
wrap meat with strips of bacon, foil and place in the smoker at about 225-250

Now here is where it is going to vary according to the size of the chunk of meat you are cooking.I wound up cooking mine in the foil for 3 1/2 hours and then bare for another 3 1/2 ( really was a big deer).

Unwrap save bacon and jus for use in gravy and potatoes later.
Return naked meat to the grill, mop on sauce, turn and check temp every 1/2 hour or so until internal temp of 140.
remove from grill foil and rest in a cooler for 30-60 minutes.
Serve with gravy made from saved jus
Enjoy!

I took the bacon that had been wrapping the meat, diced it up and browned it up with some onions which I then added to some shredded potatoes that I broiled in a pre-heated cast iron skillet. I then deglazed the bacon/onion pan with some red wine added the jus and some beef stock for the gravy.

Hey Sean, thanks neighbor for the recipe, I am definitly going to give yours a go, I have three, so I will try out one for your recipe. Hey, not for nothing but that deal at West Point turned out real good, didn't feed 25 like I was told, turned into more like 50, thank goodness I still had food left over, next year it is the Air Force Army game for 75. Thanks, Larry

Back