Smoked 7 Bone Chuck aka Blade Roast

Q

q-this

Salt only then smoked about 3 and half hours.
Cheap and very tasty.

Attachments

• 100_6318.jpg
    100_6318.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_6324.jpg
    100_6324.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 286
You can't buy a 7-bone chuck roast around here anymore. I think it's my favorite piece as far as roasts are concerned. I remember when I lived in Colorado we used to buy them by the grocery cart full at .77 cents a lb.

Never tried a 7 Bone roast but heck why not. Only of Sundays until the end of November so I have to plan my smokes ahead of time.

7-bone chuck is great, still see them around here. Not for 77 cents though.

Local grocery store had 7 bone chuck roast for .99/lb last week. Had to make 3 trips to the store, they kept running out. When they did have them I grabbed the last 2.

Looks great!

What's the difference in the 7 bone and the "regular" chuck cuts?

Looks great!

What's the difference in the 7 bone and the "regular" chuck cuts?

7 bone chuck is a regular cut of chuck or shoulder.
It's very economical and like all chuck or shoulder it is very flavorful but tough and chewy if not properly cooked.
7 bone chuck differentiates itself by being the the toughest, the chewiest and the cheapest! :-D

It shares that toughness and chewiness with it's close cousin the brisket so it makes a great cut of meat for a long cook on the smoker or grill.

The shoulder is broken up into these major cuts
- 7 bone
- Arm (aka swiss steak)
- blade
- top blade (aka flat iron)
- under blade
- chuck eye (most tender)
- chuck steak
- chuck roast
- crosss rib (aka boston cut or english cut)
- shoulder steak
- shoulder roast
- clod steak

The names vary a bit depending on what area you are in.

All of them except for chuck eye and flat iron require long cooking techniques and are usually braised.

My kids hated braised meat and that is how I started doing shoulder on the Q.

Even with out smoke, a long, indirect "Q" cook of any shoulder cut, seasoned with a little Montreal steak spice is really great!

If you like your meat with a little "tooth" and a lot of flavour then go chuck go!

Back