Cupcake Chicken

yelonutz

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I recently bought Mixons book and really like it. I would like to try his cupcake chicken. I am not clear on the part about punching holes in the muffin pan. How big and where. I also dont understand the purpose of the holes. If I knew what purpose they serve I might be able to figure out placement and size. Anybody out there done these or can just give help in general? Thanks in advance,

NUTZ

I tried it using disposable muffin tins. The holes are to let some of the grease drip out so as not to boil the chicken. I put about 6 holes in each tin around the edges. Turned out pretty good! I am looking for some large muffin tins that I can drill holes in, and reuse.

If have never tried them but I would imagine it is to let them drain and not sit in their own grease the whole time cooking. It will also let smoke get to the entire bird. Whole size and location should not make that much difference.

I tried it using disposable muffin tins. The holes are to let some of the grease drip out so as not to boil the chicken. I put about 6 holes in each tin around the edges. Turned out pretty good! I am looking for some large muffin tins that I can drill holes in, and reuse.

I went and got some from muffin tins from salvation army store you can get some good metal ones very cheap took a small 1/8 drill bit and drilled 6 holes into each cup pentagon patteren with 1 in the middle took my dremel and smoothed it out and tried it out, it worked great! the holes allow the grease to drain so the chicken does not sit in boiling oil and allows for that crisp bite throw skin very uniform shape and color I thought it was a very cool idea
RR

I just finished the book and found that it doesn't seem that Myron holds back at all and gives you the championship recipes and great instructions. The book reads like he talks and I will be trying his rib recipe next time I am cooking. It is worth the money to purchase the book.

Try going to http://www.jacksoldsouth.com/store#. Look below Myron's sauce and rubs and you will see "Cupcake Chicken Mould and Recipe". There is a photo of the chicken recipe book and tray with holes in the center. This may give you a better idea. Hope it helps.

DSC01849a.jpg

Guys, give these individual foil cupcake tins a try. The nice thing is that you have much more latitude to move them around inside the pit if some are cooking faster than others.... plus they have a bunch more uses like warming sauce, your basting liquid, or even cooking tomatoes. :thumb:​

DSC09970rawtest.jpg

Those cupcake tins are an awesome idea. I have been wanting an idea for keeping my sauce warm and also reduce the time the lid is off. Thanks so much.

I have heard of people going to a muffler shop and having them cut a pipe in 1 1/2" rings, and using those for uniform chicken, you can move them around and turn them over.

Those cupcake tins are an awesome idea. I have been wanting an idea for keeping my sauce warm and also reduce the time the lid is off. Thanks so much.

I have two sizes, the other one is a more shallow tin... I forgot to mention I use them to cook pearl onions in and also as a holder for the larger smoked onions (you know, the ones with beef bullion on them) so they don't tip over. I also use them for melted butter to baste corn. The butter is sitting on a foiled fire brick.

DSC00201a.jpg

DSC01902aa.jpg

If you look at the recipe, it says to put the muffin tin in another pan with chicken broth. This allows steam from the broth to penetrate the chicken and renders the chicken fat slowly. This is what makes the bite through skin. I tried it and it does work.

Back