Ribs in competition

J

Juicy

I was wondering what cut of ribs do teams use in competition?

Being your in the Great Lakes area, i would advise beef ribs. :biggrin:

you'll find a fair mix of both babybacks and spareribs..

some regions may have a slightly high % of one vs. the other.

cook what you cook best..

you'll find a fair mix of both babybacks and spareribs..

some regions may have a slightly high % of one vs. the other.

cook what you cook best..

i use baby backs. i like them better becaus ethey have more meat on them and are easier to eat. so i perefer them for comps also. i also judge and i have seen more babys backs than i have the spares.

You're competing at Princeton, WI right? Then I would recommend Bubba's advice :-D

As Vinny mentioned, you find a mix of both.

You're competing at Princeton, WI right? Then I would recommend Bubba's advice :-D

As Vinny mentioned, you find a mix of both.

umm.... maybee i missed something but bubbas advice was to use beef ribs and k.c.b.s. rules specificaly state pork ribs. here is the link to check
http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS_Rules_and_Regulations_2009.pdf

and yes i will be in princeton. hopefully the weather hold out, it was suposed to be clear now they are forcastinf 30% chance of scatterd t-storms on fri.

Cook what u cook best.. judges wont care and a good st louie will beat a bad babyback any day.

LOL at BBQchef33! Seriously, cook what you cook best and enjoy eating. Rarely
has anyone gone wrong with that. MIM/MBA, around here GBA and FBA are mostly
baby backs. I dont recall ever a sparerib entry taking one of those. KCBS, from what
I understand, is a mixture. A really good rib entry of any type can win.

Hey juicy, I like the baby backs. See you guys in Princeton!

While not having done a lot of contests (6) we have done well with St Louis cut spares

St. Louis for us as well. everywhere from 3rd to 59th with 'em:shock: Its pretty important to cook them right I guess:icon_blush:

St. Louis for us as well. everywhere from 3rd to 59th with 'em:shock: Its pretty important to cook them right I guess:icon_blush:

Stop sounding like me. Same thing here, spares, and from 3rd to 50's

I like St. Louis spares... They've done well by me a number of times...

Here in Dixie it seems to be about even between St. Louis spares and Baby Backs.

We use spares, a specific product from the same packing house each time.

Back