Anybody wanna take on Al Roker?

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just watched the rerun of the Memphis in May competition that Al Roker and his team competed in. After the second go-around I'm convinced that just about any combo of Brethren cound whip his team's butt.

(1) Membrane/no membrane discussion -- pulleezzee!! NO MEMBRANE if you wanna win!!

(2) Test batches - get real - they acted like nobody in the group had ever smoke ribs -- 4 hours, 6-1/4 hours, again, get a grip. The were doing baby backs!!

(3) Leaving the smoker unattended with bad weather in the forcast -- I thought Al was a weather man!! :D Instead of just leaving it running with no supervision how about cooking up some brisket -- why waste a perfectly good 225 degree smoker??

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts as I suffered through an allergy headache on a weekend afternoon.

I may have come off as mean spirited. Actually, I like Al. I even entered the contest to try and get on his team -- I've even read his book! So, I'm not mad at Al -- I just wish his team had come off looking like serious cookers instead of bumbling around for TV.

Will I enter another contest? You bet -- if he does this gig next year maybe he'll get a Brethren member.

DFLittle said:
Actually, I like Al. I even entered the contest to try and get on his team -- I've even read his book! quote]

You read his book too? I got it as a father's day gift. But, can you tell me what the book had to do with BBQ? It was all grilling if I remember correctly.

The show was poorly edited, IMHO. It made me think of a rich spoiled kid who's latest passion is BBQ. Go buy a custom made grill, hire a trainer (Willingham) and then expect to win. I don't think Al was at his best here.

AL and his crew finished 87th in the contest.
I liked his smoker ... cost over $8,000
MikeG

BrooklynQ said:
DFLittle said:
Actually, I like Al. I even entered the contest to try and get on his team -- I've even read his book! quote]

You read his book too? I got it as a father's day gift. But, can you tell me what the book had to do with BBQ? It was all grilling if I remember correctly.

The show was poorly edited, IMHO. It made me think of a rich spoiled kid who's latest passion is BBQ. Go buy a custom made grill, hire a trainer (Willingham) and then expect to win. I don't think Al was at his best here.

John Willingham? BBQ Champion?

[quote="racer_81[/quote]

John Willingham? BBQ Champion?[/quote]

Yup, one in the same. Used a Willingham Turbo Cooker too. Willingham gave him a crash course in BBQ.

BrooklynQ said:
[quote="racer_81

John Willingham? BBQ Champion?[/quote]

Yup, one in the same. Used a Willingham Turbo Cooker too. Willingham gave him a crash course in BBQ.[/quote]

Anybody know if those Turbo Cookers are for sale anywhere?

So......back on topic for a bit.......

Was that the show that Al used that vertical type smoker that rotated inside and they hung the ribs? Was that a pellet smoker?
Anyone know a link to it?

Yep it was a pellet smoker -- and when the storm hit these fine competitors were all at the motel -- hence the panic that the "fire" went out and they didn't know it until they showed up the next morning.

When Al Roker did the section on showing his area, cooking area, rubs, presentation etc, to the walk around judge.... that would seem one of the most difficult parts on the MIM circuit.

Does anyone here judge MIM? Are there criteria that these "site judges" go by? Some seem to ask alot, some seem to just look for aestetics?

Just wondering, and the Al Roker competition and the rain made me think of that.

Back