• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef top sirloin roast. What should I have done?

SmokinFatties

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I smoked a beef top sirloin roast on the uds last week and it was ok but it wasn't great cause some of it was melt in your mouth like prime rib but most was real chewy. I took it off the uds at 147*. Too early?

Last edited:
I'd say too late. I'd have pulled it at about 125, wrapped it and let it rest and let the carryover take it to 130-135. I'd rather err on the rare side.

Next time consider doing a reverse sear. Take it to about 110-115 on the smoke, pull it off, wrap it in foil to hold it. Crank the heat up, or transfer to a hot grill, unwrap, and put the roast back on the heat just long enough to brown it up on all sides. The sear will bring the internal temp up to your desired temp. Recover and rest again, then slice and serve.

Chris

I'd say too late. I'd have pulled it at about 125

Couldn't agree more, that meat has practically no fat so no advantage to cooking it a long time. Pull it at 125, let it rest for a short time (10-15 min) and slice it relatively thin, it will be fantastic!

Both.Either cook it like a steak,or carry it on up to pulled beef temps by braising.I often pitch in a sirloin roast with a chuck roast for pulled beef.Awesome.If you want sliced,take the advice above.

I'd say too late. I'd have pulled it at about 125, wrapped it and let it rest and let the carryover take it to 130-135. I'd rather err on the rare side.

Next time consider doing a reverse sear. Take it to about 110-115 on the smoke, pull it off, wrap it in foil to hold it. Crank the heat up, or transfer to a hot grill, unwrap, and put the roast back on the heat just long enough to brown it up on all sides. The sear will bring the internal temp up to your desired temp. Recover and rest again, then slice and serve.

Chris

Yep^^^^^^^^!!!!!

what was the starting weight? I cook whole aprox 18 to 22 pounds..I only go to internal 125* butt the problem you are experiencing is the way it was sliced OR the meat was not tender to begin with..try to wet age first...
when you slice you have to watch for the grain pattern and chase it around while slicing..watch the grain slice and bite into the slice..

IMO, anything past med rare is gonna make a sirloin roast eat like leather. I agree with removing from heat at 125, and resting for at least 30 minutes to allow juices to redistribute before slicing/serving.

On cooking it like a brisket or chuck roast.. meh.

IMO, anything past med rare is gonna make a sirloin roast eat like leather. I agree with removing from heat at 125, and resting for at least 30 minutes to allow juices to redistribute before slicing/serving.

On cooking it like a brisket or chuck roast.. meh.

Yup, yup^^^^

I cooked a 6.5 lb sirloin roast yesterday and pulled it at 127 The butcher did a great job for me He even tied the trimmed fat on it so it would melt/baste the roast while cooking at 335 degrees Plan to slice and freeze today

Back