Smokehouse Bacon

It sounds like you might have a humidity problem. Did you use a cure and did you smoke the salami? Also at what temperature if you did smoke.

Here is a good site for info...http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smoking-meat.htm
Lot of good info on the humidity requirements and good smokehouse draft.

It was suppose to be a hard Genoa Style. It does not call for smoking, just correct temp and RH for 35-40 days, well it aint look good! It did have TQ and salt in it, did not have the meat culture and thought I could get by without it, now I am seconding gussing if that was a big step i left out...It only called for 1/8 tsp! I was suppose to use a meat culture, used bakers yeast insted. I am gonna buy the meat culture and try one more time, then give up if it does not work.

You have inspired me to start curing some homemade bacon this weekend, will be ready right after the 1st!

Life doesn't get any better than making your own bacon. Great post cowgirl.

First time I've seen rolled bacon. Very nice! Obviously lots of care went into that. Thanks for sharing.

That is a work of art....outstanding. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thank you!! I didn't know if anyone would be interested in making bacon, but it's pretty tasty when you smoke your own. You can experiment. :wink:

Here is how I cured this last batch of bacon....

I am known for experimenting with my bacon flavors. If you get the Tenderquick cure down, you can add just about anything to suit your taste...just keep in mind that the TQ already has salt.

Start with one of these.. :)

100_4727-2.jpg

014-2-2.jpg

The first slab is getting a dry cure.
I used...
1 TBS of Tenderquick PER pound of bacon mixed with
1 tsp of the sugar PER pound of bacon..
1 1/2 tsp of cayenne
1 TBS of garlic powder
1 TBS of onion powder
1 TBS of cracked black pepper

004-5-1.jpg

I mix the spices well.....

005-4-1.jpg

Rub the cure into the meat on both sides...making sure I get the edges too. Then I pick up the bacon slab and shake off any excess.....

006-6-3.jpg

This second slab of bacon is getting a simple cure of Tenderquick, turbinado sugar and black pepper.... I use..
1 TBS of tenderquick PER pound of bacon
1 tsp of sugar PER pound of bacon and
1 single TBS of cracked black pepper

014-3-1.jpg

After rubbing the slabs with cure and shaking off any excess, I tightly wrap each one separately in plastic wrap...removing any air bubbles. I place the bacon in a container to catch any drips. Then set into my fridge for the next 6 to 7 days to cure.

018-2-1.jpg

For my loin or canadian bacon, I am using a brine cure...
I am using tenderquick/water brine with...
10 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion, sliced
1 TBS of red pepper flakes
1 TBS of black peppercorns
and 1TBS of dried basil

028-3-1.jpg

I disolve the tenderquick into the water and add the remaining ingredients...and the loins
Make sure they will stay submerged... then cover and place them into my fridge to cure for about 6 to 7 days.

030-1-2.jpg

034-3-1.jpg

After curing, wash the dry cure off of the slabs, scrubbing it off of the sides too...
Soak the loins in fresh water for at least 2 hours.
Make sure they are dry before smoking.

The beginning of this thread shows how I smoked it. :)

Yeah, the wet cure did not work as well as I would like...Gonna try your dry cure and see if I can get the bellie to come out with that store bought flavor, thats what I am looking for.

Bently, if I remember ....you said you had chipotle marinade and maple syrup in your wet cure?

For store bought taste, I'd try a plain dry cure of tenderquick mixed with sugar.

1TBs of tender quick mixed with 1 tsp of sugar PER pound of meat.

I use turbinado sugar, but brown sugar works well too.

Good luck with your next batch...hope you find the flavor combination you are looking for. :wink:

Cowgirl, I missed this thread too, sure glad I found it! Your curing/smoking looks great! Well done!

Newbie here. That is great looking pork. Many thanks for the cure info.

Smokehouse reminds me of a smoker described by Ted Dahlem in his book "How to Smoke Seafood Florida Cracker Style." Old book but good if you are in to smoking fish also.

Terry

(I love smoked fish but they are hard to keep lit!)

DANG!!!!!
SWSW

How did I miss this one......:!:

Just Amazing Jeanie.....:!: ..... Just Amazing :!:

Thank you Terry, Michael and HWSSW!

This was last fall's pig.... I'm getting ready to process more, (as soon as they are big enough) :wink:

Jeanie that is amazing, I also like the sound of Jap Bacon...........

Nice job cowgirl! When you tie the loins, does that just help keep them round and uniform in size and shape or is there another reason for doing that?

Back