• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Counter Tops for Catering Trailer

hogzgonewild

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Guys,

We are setting up a catering trailer, and I haven't talked to the health dept yet (I'm in GA), but we bought two stainless steel tool cabinets that have butcher block tops. They look like they are made for kitchen type purposes, but I know health dept's like stainless steel everything!

Do you guys think I'll be alright with the butcher block tops? If not, I guess I'll have them wrapped in stainless or aluminum and put back on.

I know all HD's are different but I just got told all my wooden/bamboo cutting boards had to be replaced with plastic. They said no wooden counter tops or cutting boards period, especially with raw meat around (I'd hate to be a butcher in this day an age). I'm setting up for service in Jacksonville next year and decided upon the stainless route. Not many other options anymore, especially mobile. Once again this is Duval County HD that did my trailer review so GA may differ but I'm doubtful, stainless seems to be the standard

Wanted to post an update: I started feeling a little better last night, because someone made the comment, "take a look at what they make your food on at Waffle House."

I called the Health Department this morning and she said that Butcher Block was fine, as long as you keep it oiled and re-sand and finish it after it gets "deep cuts."

Since all of our meat will actually be prepped on a cutting board sitting in a full sheet pan.

I'd still go with the stainless, that's what I did in Connecticut.

Since all of our meat will actually be prepped on a cutting board sitting in a full sheet pan.

Just remember most HD require your largest pan be able to fit in your sinks. Full sheet pans are huge.

Guys,

We are setting up a catering trailer, and I haven't talked to the health dept yet (I'm in GA), but we bought two stainless steel tool cabinets that have butcher block tops. They look like they are made for kitchen type purposes, but I know health dept's like stainless steel everything!

Do you guys think I'll be alright with the butcher block tops? If not, I guess I'll have them wrapped in stainless or aluminum and put back on.

Do you mind me asking where you got the tool cabinets? Maybe a link?

Thanks!

I saw those carts the other day at home depot and thought they'd make a great trailer cabinet.

Do you know if they are safe to use for catering (from a health department standpoint)? I ask because one of these years I'd like to do an HD certified vending trailer.

I was told by our health dept. (Carroll County, GA) that they would be fine as long as the wood was kept Oiled and re-sanded and finished If scratches became deep.

My concern now is, I didn't factor in the wheel well on the side of the trailer, so I may not be able to use them :(

So, Home Depot in Villa Rica may have two more tomorrow!

JT

Back