Didn't want to hijack the fatty thread

K

Kung Fu BBQ

i gotta admit, my rank is "knows what a fatty is" but I don't.

i can assume from some posts that is it just a package of of sausage, seasoned and smoked as a whole.

Is that all?

go ahead and bury me.

Of course you can adapt it. Try dipping in soy sauce or rolling it in a rub. You can even flatten it and put cheese in the middle and then roll it again before u cook it.

Kung Fu, a fatty is one of the easiest, most forgiving, and most customizable things you can cook. And they still respect you in the morning! ;)

Throw one on whenever you cook something!

Arlin_MacRae said:
Kung Fu, a fatty is one of the easiest, most forgiving, and most customizable things you can cook. And they still respect you in the morning! ;)

Throw one on whenever you cook something!

What Arlin Said.

I always keep several [many] sausage rolls of various flavors and persuasions in my freezer, and rarely fire up my cooker without tossing at least a couple in with what ever else I am doing.
Just one of the many lessons I have learned from the Brethren.

I've had real good luck by busting up the roll, just kinda moooshing it up, ya know? Then I re-form it (maybe after adding peppers or cheese) and roll it in a rub, wrap in plastic wrap & put in fridge overnite. They seem to take the smoke alot better than just out of the package.:wink:
Dave

Rookie'48 said:
I've had real good luck by busting up the roll, just kinda moooshing it up, ya know? Then I re-form it (maybe after adding peppers or cheese) and roll it in a rub, wrap in plastic wrap & put in fridge overnite. They seem to take the smoke alot better than just out of the package.:wink:
Dave
Interesting idea Rook.:cool:

How do you serve your fatties ?

So how are you guys serving these fatties ? With rolls ? Crackers ? Just a hunk of meat ? I was thinking of making some for the NEBS holiday party but I wasn't sure how to serve them up. Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

YankeeBBQ said:
So how are you guys serving these fatties ? With rolls ? Crackers ? Just a hunk of meat ? I was thinking of making some for the NEBS holiday party but I wasn't sure how to serve them up. Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

Slice and plate along with sliced cheese and crackers for apps. They're great on biscuits. I might try some finger sandwiches next time also.

YankeeBBQ said:
Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

Weird. Sounds perfect to me. That is how I usually serve them, and they are gone fast.

(I also just serve them with a simple condiment tray, cheeses, nuts, pickled peppers, and MAYBE a dipping (barbecue) sauce. I do not think you could go wrong no matter how you serve 'em.)

That's another can't-go-wrong thing about fatties: you can serve them just about any way and they'll still disappear! My personal favorite is serving them hot inside a hot biscuit with a slice of cheese for breafuss. YUM!

I cooked 3 on Tthanksgiving, 2 were the standard Farmer John's breakfast type sausage bulk, and the third was a jalapeno sausage I saw in the market last Monday. Worked great except I put too much salt in the rub for the Farmer John sausages, but they tasted great in sausage and egg muffins this past weekend.

I cooked up one with a turkey on on Saturday. It was a mild flavored. I rolled it in a mix of brown sugar and BBQ seasoning. It was quite tasty.

YankeeBBQ said:
Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

My fovorites are:

Slap the whole thing on a hoagie roll and top with cheese.
Slice and munch on smaller rolls.
Scramble and add to an omlette or breafast burrito.

YankeeBBQ said:

Steve

Crumbled, a spicy version works well in queso. Nice appetizer for a large group during the holidays. If using chorizo I'd drain it a little more on some paper towels to control the fat content.

Back