Is Hot and Fast really Hot and Fast?

QDoc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Actually not really. In the world of BBQ for some reason low and slow several years ago was 225*. That was the mantra for well cooked bbq according to a majority people in the bbq world, or at least that is where they said they cooked.
Now people cooking around 325* say this is hot and fast but not according to
culinary trained people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oven_temperatures

325-350 may still be low and slow.

OMG i was thinking this exact same thing earlier...no joke.

350 might be exiting the low temp range. The "definition" of what low and slow is needs to change.

I always thought "low and slow" and "hot and fast" were just relative to what is accepted as BBQ style cooking. Sure, you can always go hotter but there comes to a point where you're really just baking but just on a grill/smoker. I'll let the BBQ philosophers debate where that point is.

since im new to q...this concept confused me....I wasn't aware that 325 was hot...I thought that was relatively not hot lol

I love running my offset between 300 - 325, to me that's more hot n fast than sitting around waiting on the 225 style.

For most people on this board (there are exceptions) "low and slow" has always meant approximately 225 degrees. So "hot n fast" is a relative term.

Yeah, I've always placed the "Hot & Fast" term relative to what is typically considered to be low & slow BBQ temps... Maybe "Hotter & Faster" should be the term we use.

If we were in the woodpile that term could go in a completely different direction...

2 issues:

First, to the op, it's "BBQ relative" when we're talking low n slow or hot n fast.

Second issue is we have only 2 terms to talk about a temperature range. I think most of us agree that 225 is LnS, and most agree that 350 is HnF. What about the temps in between?

Most of us find that 225 is TOO LnS. For me, i have to choke the crap out of my smokers to hit and hold 225. The results are ghastly bad. My smoker likes the 240-270 range. Which is this; LnS or HnF?

For me, anything under 300 is LnS, and anything over 300 is HnF.

I'm kinda new, don't want to make any waves, but.... Cooking exclusively on my old trusty Weber, I always just kinda though of indirect cooking as low-n-slow and direct heat as hot-n-fast BBQing. Smoking I figured is a whole different animal requiring the very low 225-250ish temps.

As I said, kinda new to all this...

And BTW, I'm definitely a "Half-fast" cook.

VR,
Harold

Low and slow has a range, 225 is the low end, 250 is mid range and 275 is the high end, which also shares the mark for the lower end of high and fast.
High and fast ranges from 275 - 350 and up involving temps limited only by ones own imagination... and determination to RUIN his BBQ!:wink::cool:

2 issues:

First, to the op, it's "BBQ relative" when we're talking low n slow or hot n fast.

Second issue is we have only 2 terms to talk about a temperature range. I think most of us agree that 225 is LnS, and most agree that 350 is HnF. What about the temps in between?

Most of us find that 225 is TOO LnS. For me, i have to choke the crap out of my smokers to hit and hold 225. The results are ghastly bad. My smoker likes the 240-270 range. Which is this; LnS or HnF?

I like this Lake Dogs. What happens if I cook low and slow but I wrap and the meat gives up early and I finish fast? Can I call it Low and Fast?

2 issues:

Exactly.

I have a friend who is a Green Egger. He brags incessantly that he can cook a butt at 200* for 18-20 hours. Recently he was giving me a hard time about cooking at 250*. I told him that barbeque is Temperature x Time.

I generally think of it like this:

< 140* = Cold Smoking (Fish, Cured Sausages)
140 - 225 = Hot Smoking (Smoked Sausages, Bacon)
225 - 325 = Barbequing (Ribs, Butts, Shoulders, Briskets, etc.)
325 - 400 = Slow Grilling (Chicken, Tri-Tips, Thick Chops)
>400 = Grilling (Steaks)

Just my $.02,

David

I often cook an 18lb packer in 3.5 hours. Not hot or fast enough for you?

Low and slow has a range, 225 is the low end, 250 is mid range and 275 is the high end, which also shares the mark for the lower end of high and fast.
High and fast ranges from 275 - 350 and up involving temps limited only by ones own imagination... and determination to RUIN his BBQ!:wink::cool:

I like the results.

Back