Eco Bricks/Logs

grubby

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought some Eco Bricks/Logs at my local Feed Mill and they couldnt answer my question. Has anybody used these to Q with or even know if they are safe? I know in my fireplace they put off some good steady heat.

I met a guy who manufactured some and he told me that his were just pressed wood chips. I have seen others where they use wax in there to hold the wood together. I would be very careful what you use and make sure that what you use is only wood.

I wouldn't use it for my family.

The paperwork that came with them says its all pressed hardwood. I just got done writing an email to the manufacturer for more details about them. The manufacturer is here in ohio

You got 2 basic problems

1 is you really don't know what's in compressed logs
2 is you're paying top dollar for it.

I used to live a little north of you in Chardon. You can buy red oak "slabwood" off the Amish for cheap. Not to mention any kind of fruit or nut wood you can imagine. Start scrounging.

Unless items are labled food safe it's best to steer clear. Unknown components of filler or binder, plus what type of wood would be more red flags than worth.Making someone sick or eat junk food isn't a good thing either. I am curious as to the makers response, safe to use or not. Please post. Steve.

I actually saw a short story on these on TV, and looked for them in the US at the time - couldn't find them. They actually are 100% wood, no binder or filler. WHat keeps them together evidently is that the presses made to use them are much more powerful than those used for regular logs of this type.

I wouldn't take the chance and cook on it. They are not made for cooking so why risk it.

I received an email back today from ecobricks and the General Manager said they use all hardwood chips oak, maple & popular etc.... The bricks are compressed with a heavy machine and no fillers or binding agents. He said they are safe to cook with he uses all the time in his outdoor firepit. I think I will try first over an open pit with some sausage or hotdogs before putting in my smoker.

I literally saw these in a grocery store here in KC about 20 minutes ago. A bundle of 10 of them was about $14. Assuming they are all natural, I would wonder how hot and how long they would burn. Don't think I would use them for food, but maybe a chiminea?

I was talking to one of the guys at work that does some smoking and he says he buys the fire logs from the store (didn't specify a brand and has apparently used several different ones) and cuts them in 1" to 1 1/2" pieces. Then uses one or two of the pieces to start his charcoal for his smoker. Says they are allways gone by the time the coals are fully grayed over and ready to start cooking on. And that he has never had any odd or bad smells or flavors from it like when using lighter fluid. :confused: He thinks that using a propane weed burner to start the coals is not very cost effective. ???

"environmentally friendly, additive free pressed kiln dried hardwood sawdust bricks used for home heating fuel "

Sawdust from???
Additive free during the brick compression process I assume, what about prior to becoming sawdust?

I know I use briquettes, even the dread Blue Bag K, guess I've accepted that I just don't know what's in them. But they are made for cooking on.

I'd want to see some "food safe" use statements before I'd cook on or eat food cooked on these.

Back