Installing a digital control board on my cs680

BBQSamYesIam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just received my digital control board for my CS680. Before I install it, I wanted to get some advice about where to install the temperature probe. The instructions say to install it just below the center smoke vent, but I thought that I saw someplace on here a thread where alternate, and possibly better, locations are to install it. It seems to me that installing it someplece close to level with the grate would make sense. Any ideas? I think that HoDeDo had some thoughts (and pictures), but I cant find the posts!
Thanks!!

Another question to add to the thread!
Anyone know of a good place to get a second shelf for the cs680 to increase capacity?

I think Andy mounted his right above the plate where the grease deflector sits. I tried mine there first thinking grill level would be the best also. Ended up placing mine third hole in.

Thanks! May I ask why you decided to move it after your original installation? It sounds like you are now in line with the manufacturer's suggestion. ?

Big swings where it was put the 1st time. I use a Maverick 73 at grill level for true temps anyway and it was eaiser to adjust the digital based on those readings. You will have to see how your unit responds. I still have 20-30* swings, but the longer it is on the more accuratly it performs.

OK, I think that I've decided to drill a hole below the center smoke vent, but just above the grate rather than up higher. Any words of caution before I break out the power tools??

Been out golfing. I know Andy did not want the wires outside his pit. I put high heat silicon on mine and put some braces on to keep the wires secure. This post is probably way late, hope it worked out for you.

Turns out that my install got rained out! It's now at the top of my list for next weekend!!

PM my hubby (HoDeDo) and he will be happy help you. I'm sure he hasn't seen this post yet.

Just saw this.... Putting it right over the hanger for the deflector plate, gave it a heat sync effect, and kept me from getting as many temp swings, as mounting it up higher. My usually does not swing more than 10 degrees during a contest cook. It also kept all the wires in the hopper housing, so nothing to pull loose/cut/damage in general.

Having said that, sounds like Bentley was getting worse swings with the same mounting, instead of better temp control.... so I'm not sure what to tell you. I know there are several other guys whom I have mounted these kits for, or have them on themselves... Come on boys, chime in, and increase the field of data on the installs. What is working out there? :)

I also have to say, my whole hog no longer has holes ..... it has stacks mounted for reverse flow... which also help my temps stay more even....

Hey thanks, Andy (and wife!)! A quick queston though. In your reply, you stated that you mounted it "right over the hanger for the deflector plate". In the thread that your lovely bride provided me, it says that you "mounted the Thermocouple about 5" above the grate near the rear of the cooker". I see that you have multiple grills, so maybe on one you did it one way and on another you did it differently?? The other thread has a picture of it mounted about 5" above the grate and towards the rear. Do you have a picture of it mounted just above the deflector plate? And ultimately, which would you recommend for this rookie?!?! I bought this CS680 and my neighbor bought a BGE......we have smoked every weekend since! The wives are getting pretty tired of smoked meat, having us smell like smoke, and having our freezers full of leftovers!!!!!
THANKS for any help you can offer.
Alan

I also have to say, my whole hog no longer has holes ..... it has stacks mounted for reverse flow... which also help my temps stay more even....

How are you liking that? Any advantage besides more even temps? Who am I kidding, what other advantage would matter!

Man, I start filling holes, cutting and welding and that is Gonna be a UWH! :icon_blush:

Edit: I went back to the link Kim posted. I dont know if I did not pay attention the first time. I thought you had mounted the probe in the WH right above the deflector plate, I see now that was on the TGer. I may have to rethink placing the probe where you have it in the pictures of the WH and see if the temp control is better. Farken competition this weekend, may have to try and move it next day or two and try a fattie!

Last edited:
How are you liking that? What advantage do you think it brough to the pit?

Man, I start filling holes, cutting and welding and that is Gonna be a UWH! :icon_blush:

I was not that elaborate at all... we covered it with the metal tape in/out, then painted it. Originally we were just going to use that during the "test period" for the stacks, but it has held all year! so we may just leave it... the original plan was to cut and weld a plate over the holes...

I really like the stacks and thinks it helps when you are using only one side of the unit. Also keeps temps a little more even side to side when cooking at different temps.

You sealed off both sides? Stacks on both sides? Where did you mount them?

Hey thanks, Andy (and wife!)! A quick queston though. In your reply, you stated that you mounted it "right over the hanger for the deflector plate". In the thread that your lovely bride provided me, it says that you "mounted the Thermocouple about 5" above the grate near the rear of the cooker". I see that you have multiple grills, so maybe on one you did it one way and on another you did it differently?? The other thread has a picture of it mounted about 5" above the grate and towards the rear. Do you have a picture of it mounted just above the deflector plate? And ultimately, which would you recommend for this rookie?!?! I bought this CS680 and my neighbor bought a BGE......we have smoked every weekend since! The wives are getting pretty tired of smoked meat, having us smell like smoke, and having our freezers full of leftovers!!!!!
THANKS for any help you can offer.
Alan

Yes, on the whole hog, I did push the probe back closer to the stack I added. That should have read 5" above the plate, not grate... it is about 5" above the deflector, or about 1" above the grate. You can see in the pic where the grate would sit, and the stack starts a grate level. The probe is just slightly above that. without a stack, I would mount it directly over the deflector catch -- in that same thread, you can the one in my tailgator mounted as such.

I was hoping some of the other guys would share thier thoughts. I would hate to steer you wrong on your 680!!!

You sealed off both sides? Stacks on both sides? Where did you mount them?

Let me see if I can take a couple pics, hang tight, It is actually here at the house instead of the comp trailer for the week!

Ok here are some pics..
In the first two, you see the stacks are welded up behind the pellet hopper.
PIC_0001.jpg

PIC_0002.jpg

From here you see it is square up the back.
PIC_0003.jpg

This is the tap job we did... to cover the holes. very effective.
stacks.jpg

If you look back at the probe pics, you will see how the rear corner in the cooker is cut out.

Back