SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans" Throwdown!!!

This is my official entry.

Been awhile ladies and gents but I think I'm back.

Last week my father-in-law said he really liked Jack Daniels Sauce so I decided I would see if I could find some. Well I couldn't find the sauce but I did find a recipe I really liked so this is how my throwdown entry started.

IMG_2721.jpg

some roasted garlic

IMG_2726.jpg

put it all together

IMG_2728.jpg

add a special label and there you have it

IMG_2734.jpg

So the sauce turned out great but the secret weapon turned out to be

IMG_2744.jpg

Add a corer peeler slicer

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

Some asparagus

IMG_2780.jpg

And Corn (this is really just water but the corn will be added at some point in this story)

IMG_2786.jpg

Grill, Glaze and Serve

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

The glaze was great. My Father In law kept going back to the serving plate and dipping has chop in what glaze was left on the plate. The real star here was the Oakridge BBQ Game Changer. These were the best chops I've ever made and I know it was the Game Changer that made the difference. They were moist, tender and full of flavor. Thank you Oakridge BBQ.

Not sure if it is the best shot but it is my favorite one so Mr. Big please use this for the vote thread.

IMG_2792.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wow that is an amazing looking dish. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Another farkenaut entry, your biggieness...

I thought I might make me up some good vittles for supper, and teach ole' bucc about a real Texas staple food.

I went and got me some cheap, lean steak, cut thin. It set me back a whole four dollars an thirteen cents. I also picked up some okra, which cost me pert-near another dollar. I already had some potatoes at home, and don't recall what they cost me, but it wasn't a whole lot. All the other ingredients I had in my panty, and I reckon you can add another dollar for what I used of them.

All told, I don't think I have more than ten bucks invested in this endeavor.

Now for the cookin' stuff.

I took my cheap steak, cut off any excess fat, and opened up a can of whoopass on it with a meat mallet.

picture.php

Then I made my dredge and crust -- one bowl of buttermilk and egg, and one bowl of flour, baking powder, and black pepper.

picture.php

I dragged my meat through the dry stuff, and then through the wet stuff, and one more time through the dry stuff.

picture.php

After a little rest, into the the #10 Griswold on the redhead -- about 350 degrees on the canola oil.

picture.php

After the steak was cooked, I poured off most of the oil, but lest a little to mix with flour to make a roux. I added some milk to my roux and cooked it down to a nice cream gravy, with a generous helping of black pepper for flavor.

picture.php

I whipped up some garlic mashed taters, and deep fried some okra -- I always have mashed taters and fried okra with chicken fried steak. One of my favorite meals.

And here is how she looked right before I dove in, fork first.

picture.php

So, how did it taste? Well, a picture is worth a thousand words...

picture.php

Thanks for looking. I need a nap, now.

CD

So to make this gravy it is the sediment from the fry up plus flour and milk, CD?
Don't cook the flour too long so it stays light coloured and then seasoned with black pepper?

So to make this gravy it is the sediment from the fry up plus flour and milk, CD?
Don't cook the flour too long so it stays light coloured and then seasoned with black pepper?

Yes, you pour off all but a few tablespoons of the cooking oil, with tasty bits in it. You ad flour, and make a roux -- I used 1/3 cup of flour today. You are looking for a light tan roux, so you don't cook it too long. You add milk and stir until you have a nice, creamy gravy. It took a little over two cups of milk for this batch. Then, add a little salt and a lot of black pepper, until it tastes good to you.

If you have ever had a peppercorn sauce on steak, this is somewhat similar.

CD

Yes, you pour off all but a few tablespoons of the cooking oil, with tasty bits in it. You ad flour, and make a roux -- I used 1/3 cup of flour today. You are looking for a light tan roux, so you don't cook it too long. You add milk and stir until you have a nice, creamy gravy. It took a little over two cups of milk for this batch. Then, add a little salt and a lot of black pepper, until it tastes good to you.

If you have ever had a peppercorn sauce on steak, this is somewhat similar.

CD

Gravy made with milk. :tsk:

Well trying this a third time maybe I wont accidentally delete it all. UGH!

Here is my entry for the Noobians!!! I dont know if it will be my official entry or not. Because I forgot a few pictures of stuff haha.

I started with 2 racks of loin back ribs. Rubbed down with Chris lilleys pork butt rub(which my wife and I enjoy..although this time around we did notice that it had too much salt and needs a little flavor kick so we will be messing around with some other flavors). They are being smoked at about 235-250 ish with apple wood.

Here they are in all their glory beforehand:

DSC_0035.jpg

I had planned on getting some during the cook photos but that didnt happen. DOH!

*insert mid cook pictures:twitch:*

After they had been on for about 3 hours I tried the bend test and they were almost there to the cracking of skin. So I decided this was the perfect time to glaze one rack with Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet sauce. And left the other rack plain.

Here they are after about 3.5 hours of cooking and passing the bend test.

DSC_0038.jpg

I also forgot to get a smoke ring picture or a plated picture. :doh: We had my wifes family over for dinner and they just didnt understand the whole reasoning behind pictures and a bbq forum:mmph:. So it was hard trying to get pictures before it all got snarfed down.

Overall everyone really enjoyed the ribs. Surprisingly everyone loved the dry rubbed ones more than the glazed ones(myself included). I will definitely have to do a better job and documenting my next cook, but remember I am still a Noobian!

Ps. Thank you to my brethren for all of your help and advice. Because without it I wouldnt have made such delicious ribs!

Official Entry and Full Volley from the USS Farkanught

The Noobs have been running too many raids on us as of late. :shock:

Time to return fire.

Obligatory cute Pup pic:

ibhr8o.jpg

Pork O' Rama today. Memphis Dry. The rub ingredients with a Southern twist for St. Louis Spares:

14kuwm.jpg

2jebpxe.jpg

Rubbed and ready:

2dbl2za.jpg

Prepping the Bacon wrapped Tater Cups with purple onion and bell pepper:

34dr9fq.jpg

A little butter on top and some Tony's:

1iek40.jpg

On the grill:

6fmqyu.jpg

By this time it was getting BUTT HOT here.

Here's a pic of the Ribs on the WSM:

20qjk1j.jpg

Now for some Bacon wrapped Figs:

2wee0sh.jpg

If you have not tried this, you should.

Bout time for the Ribs to come off:

saytcz.jpg

9jkj7r.jpg

Cheezing up the tater cups:

2ibglqv.jpg

Sure wish I had a Farkanught flag! :

2a0b5nq.jpg

We are not one but many:

4gj2a1.jpg

And just when you thought the assault was over, here come the torpedoes!

Been soaking these all day:

30ubspl.jpg

a2w4cz.jpg

Plated shot. Please use the pic below for the TD.

jg34fl.jpg

Thanks for Lookin'.

Fark toast thanks for posting that delicious meal right after mine! Haha. You veterans always make the right moves!

WOW both those rib posts were amazing, great job guys...

Now to find my camera cable so i can post my two 9# boston's I did for my daughter's party today... I think my wife is hiding it so I can't post it tonight... hmmmm

Back