Help Restoring a used pit

Smokinlee7

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi everyone i just got a deal on craiglist $300 on a heavy duty 20X30 smoker 1/4 steel . it has a lot of surface rust on the fire box but not in the main chamber. wondering whats the best way to restore back. This is my first offset smoker and i think i got a deal coming from barrel pit.
let me know your thought does and don't
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 22008210_10155146860653002_8171430856339119742_n.jpg
    22008210_10155146860653002_8171430856339119742_n.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 302
If you know someone with a sandblaster that would be the quickest way. Other than that a wire wheel on a hand grinder and lots of time. Then a couple good coats of high temp paint.

I agree and if you want to do it right sand blast it but I have bought the sponge sanding disc that work pretty well to getter done .

That’s an absolute steel at that price! Nice work. I would have the whole thing sandblasted (probably $100 or so) then prime and paint with Rust-Oleum high heat paint. Good luck! I’ve cleaned coolers that size by hand but it’s A LOT of work. Sandblaster would be money well spent, plus it gets the steel ready to accept the primer.

Great buy! Please share restoration updates along the way. I vote sand blast.

Flap disk or wire brush would take care of it. Looks like everything but the firebox is in pretty good shape.

Thanks guys I will see what the cost to sand blast, there’s no name of company maker on it I will research klose to see
Thanks again

If sand/media blasing isn't an option, wire brush & then sanding disks will make short work of that. Looks like a fairly easy restore. As big as that firebox is, you should be able to easily slip a good few fire bricks in there...making it super efficient. Awesome buy.

I got a quote for $150 to sandblast so I pick up a wire wheel pack and rustoleum bbq paint looking forward to doing the job. The rust is only heavy on the firebox surface. I will post picks once going

Once you hit it with the wire wheel follow Smitty's advice and wipe it down with accetone before spraying it with primer.

My Klose has a number and date welded on the inside of the cook chamber. It’s a 2012 model, not sure when they started doing that. You have a really nice pit and got it at an absolute steal at that price. Congratulations

You should have an ash pan that slides in the firebox and will cover the gap at the bottom of the firebox door. Let me know if it’s missing and I’ll shoot a picture of mine. There should also be a firebox grate that drops in and sets on the bottom rails.

Thanks Kevin
It came with the heavy grates for chamber and firebox also the previous owner had stainless steel cut to go on top of those. Once I clean it good I will look for those date stamp. Man I’m glad I got this deal on this pit it’s built real good. When I first started looking to buy new I went to a pit builder here in Texas and I recal the same size pit for $1200, then I seen this on Craigslist a month later so glad I did
Thanks

Back