• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

American royal question

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on the Royal. We are thinking about going, but due to some work / family conflicts, we wouldn't be able to make an extended trip out of it. Basically, we would need to arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Saturday night (not cook open).

I hate to drive that far (9 hours) and not stay for the open, but that's what appears to be the only option.

My main questions are: will we be able to get into our spot okay if we arrive Thursday afternoon? Will I be able to get out Saturday evening? Do invitational teams have spots closer to turn ins or is it a crap shoot? We just have a van and tow behind smoker, so nothing too difficult to maneuver.

Thanks

Looking for some feedback on the Royal. We are thinking about going, but due to some work / family conflicts, we wouldn't be able to make an extended trip out of it. Basically, we would need to arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Saturday night (not cook open).

I hate to drive that far (9 hours) and not stay for the open, but that's what appears to be the only option.

My main questions are: will we be able to get into our spot okay if we arrive Thursday afternoon? Will I be able to get out Saturday evening? Do invitational teams have spots closer to turn ins or is it a crap shoot? We just have a van and tow behind smoker, so nothing too difficult to maneuver.

Thanks

It's done every year by a few teams. It's probably easier to contact the Royal and find out exactly what kind of timeline you are looking at for having to vacate. For some reason I want to say 3 PM Saturday, but I'm not certain.

Looks like you could do it. The following is from the AR site:

"For your convenience, check-in/load-in hours for contestants are:
  • [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Thursday, October 4 from 7:00 am - 7:00 pm [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Friday, October 5 from 7:00 am - 3:00 pm [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Saturday, October 6 from 7:00 am - 10:00 am [/FONT][/FONT]
Due to traffic congestion and safety concerns, no one will be allowed to drive on the grounds after 3:00 pm Friday until 2:00 pm Saturday unless loading in early Saturday morning. "

Lot B is the only area with quiet hours, so many invitational teams prefer it, however the AR is quick to point out that they have had winners from every area of the contest grounds.

This may or maynot appeal to you but what about finding a team who uses the same or similar cooker who isnt in the invitational and try to work a deal . I have done this and made for a pretty good time for all.

I think they usually place the teams only cooking the invite on the outter edges near the gate. And then after they move out they move the entrance gate accordingly.

to cook the invitational what can a team expect as far as cost? I heard just to cook with a normal site it could run thousands,is this right or high/low? Im tring to budget for such an adventure. (probably would cook the open as well)

In the past the Royal did not charge a space fee for the Invitational. For the open, entry fee depends on the size requirement for space, electric hook-up, ice etc. Go to the Royal website and find the link to the BBQ cook-off for more specific answers.

Robert

to cook the invitational what can a team expect as far as cost? I heard just to cook with a normal site it could run thousands,is this right or high/low? Im tring to budget for such an adventure. (probably would cook the open as well)

Don't forget the $8 for a padlock...best investment you'll ever make:tape::mrgreen:

I got word from the organizer that we could get out Saturday after awards. Sounds like we'd have a heck of a walk to turn-ins, but that may be the only way we can make it work. There is no charge, just a $50 deposit if you are not cooking the open. Not sure about other costs yet.

Damn, you know how to burst a guys bubble... mine is a Crossman, what is yours?

Last year cost us around $1500 to make the trip and cook both contests. We are undecided right now if we're gonna come back this year. Sure was a fun time, though! Plus I had great neighbors! We shall see.

Back