BBQ Brethren "Candy" Throwdown

Candy Apple!

Well, here is my first entry into a Throwdown! I thought what is more fall and holloween than a Candy Apple? So, I set out to do something like a baked apple. My wife said that she thought a baked peach would be good. So I did one of each.

The apple was cored out and stuffed with a ~1tb butter/ 1tb brown sugar/oatmeal mixture. I was going to stuff the peach with just cream cheese. But, when I saw how much it was going to take to stuff the cavity, I felt a little piggishly guilty and decided to mix the cream cheese with more oatmeal and brown sugar. Onto a 350* smoker for about 50 minutes. Then served warm and drizzled with caramel and chocolate.

I think I pick the last picture for my entry. Thanks

Last edited:
ili0sj.jpg

Oh my....

I just licked my screen. Twice.

Well, here is my first entry into a Throwdown!

Nice job! I would be happy with either of those!

Anybody know how many jolly ranchers you need to fill up a hollowed out eggplant? .....wrapped in bacon.....with cream gravy......?

If you carefully seed the egg plant and take great care to not remove any more of it's fleshy goodness than necessary, 72 Jolly Ranchers for an average size egg plant has been my experience.

OK...seeing these first two entries...maybe my idea wasn't quite up to snuff. Now I have to think some more...

I am now thinking that if I could get to my kettle, I would be in trouble. I may be able to come up with something.

I thought about entering until I saw the smores... I don't know that anyone will top that one this time.

I thought about entering until I saw the smores... I don't know that anyone will top that one this time.

I say we vote that smores are not "Candy". Smores are definitely a treat,a sweet, a dessert, yummy, but not candy. I think a candy apple is close to not being candy, but since it has the word candy in the name that you got to let it in. Can we get an official ruling?

:p

This is going to be fun to watch. They say Kit Kat is the worse candy for you- 1 pack = 3 cheeseburgers

Halloween is over and we only had 1 Trick-or-Treater. She was a wonderfully terrifying 2-year-old purple and green dragon that had the cutest roar you've ever heard, but I don't think her parents would approve of us giving her some ten pounds of candy. Luckily, there is this Throwdown to help us dispose of some of it. I thought it would be nice to put into a pie, making a chocolate-candy-pecan pie. First, I selected a few candies that I thought would go well in a pie, it's chocolate so you can't really go wrong I figure.

IMG_0029.jpg

I unwrapped them and placed them in my crust:

IMG_0033.jpg

I then began making the caramelly inside

IMG_0030.jpg

This is good with extra pecans and a touch of cocoa, can't have to much chocolate.

IMG_0034.jpg

When this was ready, I poured this into the crust:

IMG_0036.jpg

I baked this in my Oval for about 45 minutes, beginning at about 400*, and finishing at about 350*:

IMG_0038.jpg

It came out looking pretty good

IMG_0056.jpg

I served it up with a dollop of whipped cream

IMG_0063.jpg

and a cup of coffee.

This was one of the more interesting pies I've made. Every bite had a slightly different taste, depending on the candy that composed it.
And yes, it was a little on the sweet side.

Thanks for looking.

That is totally, well just TOTALLY! I'd like a slice of that! I like the different taste per bite surprise too.

Wow! I can't come up with anything other than, Wow!

Really? That's all you've got? I think you just wore yourself out ranting. You peaked too soon. :shock:

Loved the rant by the way. :thumb:

Back