4,000 MOINK Balls.....

fireman_pete

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi All,

As a follow-up to my earlier post about the catering gig for 2,000 people, the clients wants to add "MOINK" balls to the proposal.

My initial reaction (to myself) is no way. That would be 4,000 moink balls that would have to be wrapped, smoked, etc.

Anyone have any experience doing LARGE numbers of MOINK balls?????

Look forward to your feedback.

Pete

Two per person? Doesn't that seem light? You want to talk to BigMista, he does large numbers. I would say you need a lot of help. We used to do a thousand skewers of meat for fundraisers and you will need at least 4 to 6 helpers or a lot of time.

The "MOINK" balls would be in addition to a PP sammie, baked beans and cole slaw. I was thinking with the other food, 2 per person would be good.

Pete

I hope you increased your price, that takes a lot of balls. :)

Yeah, no kidding. That is what I am really struggling with. In order for us to prep and cook 4K moink balls, it is a ton of work, and another dedicated smoker. Normally I charge 3 moinks for $2.00.

Pete

I hope you increased your price, that takes a lot of balls. :)

Pete,

You are going to either need to get started asap and freeze. Or just hire a crew just for the prep work a day in advance. Get it done, bro, cause that would get the record. I think the recorded record is 500 by Mista then me with 350. It took 2 people to do 350 in a couple of hours.

You should be able to do these a few days in advance and keep in the reefer till the event.

Yep, already factoring in the additional staff to just prep the moink's! Cooking is going to be fun too, talk about some grease :-D

Pete,

You are going to either need to get started asap and freeze. Or just hire a crew just for the prep work a day in advance. Get it done, bro, cause that would get the record. I think the recorded record is 500 by Mista then me with 350. It took 2 people to do 350 in a couple of hours.

We did about 1000 for an event last year at Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville Ontario. Prepping them ahead of time and freezing is the only way to go. We then reheated them in half pan trays throughout the event weekend. I added a bit of apple juice to the bottoms of the pans to keep them hydrated.
It wasn't too hard to do that many at all.

Question, did you prep and cook then freeze ahead of time, or just prep and freeze, then cook on-site?

Just curious.

Thanks

Pete

We did about 1000 for an event last year at Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville Ontario. Prepping them ahead of time and freezing is the only way to go. We then reheated them in half pan trays throughout the event weekend. I added a bit of apple juice to the bottoms of the pans to keep them hydrated.
It wasn't too hard to do that many at all.

Are you controlling the portions? If you are, you might get away with 2 MOINK Balls™ per person. Extensive research has shown that the average portion size is 3 MOINK Balls™.

If you aren't controlling the portions you aren't going to have enough to get your through service with only 4,000. And at $.75 to $1.00 per MOINK Ball™ you've got a hefty charge. The only downside to MOINK Balls™ is they are labor intensive.

Good luck, and I'd sure like to have a couple pictures of what 4,000 MOINK Balls™ look like in all stages of preparation for my blog. I will of course link back to you.

Question, did you prep and cook then freeze ahead of time, or just prep and freeze, then cook on-site?

Just curious.

Thanks

Pete

I think you're fine with 2 per person - Our events have seen about 1.5 per person on average. Would prep day ahead, and cook early on the day of if possible - We fit 40 2 oz, or 80 1 oz to a full pan, and hold in Cambros. They come out fine.

I think you're fine with 2 per person - Our events have seen about 1.5 per person on average. Would prep day ahead, and cook early on the day of if possible - We fit 40 2 oz, or 80 1 oz to a full pan, and hold in Cambros. They come out fine.

Who eats the halves?

Thanks guys. yes we would be controlling the portions, and with the other sides, I think we are good with 2 per person. We are using 1oz meatballs.

I will keep you posted if this is a go, and will definately have pics.

Thanks

Pete

We get the 4.5 inch skewers and do 2 1oz. MOINK Balls per skewer. That helps control portions. Everyone gets a skewer. We charge 2.50 per skewer.

Just a thought, it's one thing to do a thousand or so for a promotional gig, but keep in mind if they're on the menu, you may be doing them for life....lol..........ask me how long deviled eggs lasted on my catering menu......until someone ordered hundreds for a party ! My stove only holds so many stock pots of pain in the ass, pain to peel eggs. While you can always drum up temporary help to do the once in awhile gig, keep in mind most people expect to stay employed full time and if you're short handed it can affect your efficiency and quality of your main entrees. Keep it simple, grow slow.

Back