Books for Me

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
I have read a lot of posts on books to buy. I would classify myself as a serious backyard cook. No desire to be in a comp, open a restaurant, or do any catering, I just want to cook for parties, for my family, and in bulk to freeze and eat later. I have a new/used offset smoker bought and coming to replace the Bandera, but no more details until I have it in my yard- I don't want to jinx anything. There will be a post and some pictures when I get it home. Anyway, I have Myron Mixons new book, "Peace, Love, and BBQ", and "Big Bob Gibsons BBQ Book". All of these have enjoyed, particularly the Chris Lilly book. What other books would be good for me? I am looking at:
Paul Kirks Championship BBQ
Serious BBQ
BBQ25

Are any of these good for me? Any others you would recommend?

I would definitely go for Serious Barbecue. He gives detailed information with really good explanations. There are also a lot of good recipes in the book. I have a lot of barbecue books but I pick this one up more than any other. If I could have only one, this would be it :thumb:

i would definitely go for serious barbecue. He gives detailed information with really good explanations. There are also a lot of good recipes in the book. I have a lot of barbecue books but i pick this one up more than any other. If i could have only one, this would be it :thumb:

ditto!

Smokestack Lightning if you want to understand the culture and the tradition of the old school pitmasters.
and:
Holy Smoke; for North Carolina BBQ recipes, tradition, history and lore.
You can't go wrong with either.

I would definitely go for Serious Barbecue. He gives detailed information with really good explanations. There are also a lot of good recipes in the book. I have a lot of barbecue books but I pick this one up more than any other. If I could have only one, this would be it :thumb:

Same for me here, I read serious BBQ more than any of my other books. I also like Gary wiviotts 'low and slow:the art of BBQ in 5 easy lessons'. Even if you are already an accomished cook, it has great recipes and is the most detailed book on explaining what's going on inside your cooker.

There are so many good books out there (and even more crap ones). I recommend checking out the titles that are recommended on this thread at your local library. If they don't have the titles, they can get them for you via Interlibrary Loan.

This way, you only buy the ones that you know that you like.

Trust me, I'm a librarian.

Paul Kirks book is good, but I would throw all others away before I'd give up Serious Barbecue.

Not exactly specific to barbeque, but I always recommend 3 of Michael Rhulman's books to anyone who wants to get down and dirty with their cooking:

Twenty, Ratio, and Charcuterie.
Lets you in on the ins-and-outs of what's going on while you cook.

smokestack lightning is a must as well as peace love and bbq,im surprised no one mentioned any of Dr.BBQ (Ray Lampes) books,i have a couple and think they are awesome,also Steven Raichlen put out some good ones,i have just got Myrons book and havent had a chance to read it and also i just got BBQ MAkes Everything Better and havent looked at it yet but.

Back