wsm temp control issues

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
ive used my CL WSM 2x and am having problems

Cook 1

dumped 1/2 bag lump in ring, fired it up with weed burner, assembled unit, closed down vents at about 200 to stabilize. Never really did, but it was a butt so I wasnt overly concerned until about 4 hours in when temps were dropping. I opened the door and all the fuel was almost gone. (RO Steakhouse lump) added more and just dealt with it. vents were almost all closed and temps still rose. one of the wheels is a little bent up and Im not sure that when its "closed" that it really is.

Cook 2

Dumped other part of bag into ring, covered with K. got it stable at about 230. All was well til I opened door to add another chuck of wood. quickly closed door. looked stable until 45 min later when temps were 289.

WTF? ok so i know the door adds oxygen but it was off 5-8 seconds so it cant be that much. plus the 3 vents are nearly closed. 1/16" inch open at most. WTF?

Help

I am not sure that this is your problem but when I received my WSM I also had temp problems. Mine were because the sections were out of round and air was leaking in and burning all my fuel. I ended up folding up a piece of aluminum foil and placed it on the rim of the middle and bottom sections. This tighten it up and stopped the temp spikes.

Good Luck!

i didnt use the water pan full of water. I bought a ceramic saucer but it was too small so i wrapped it in foil, and put it in the water bowl. I dont think its out of round, the only area i see smoke escape is from right around the door

What size is the WSM, and is it an old-style (no thermometer) or new one? I had issues when I first got the new model 22.5" model due to the door not sealing tightly, then had issues getting the temps up due to the amount of water the thing holds. Fixed the door, measure water now, and those issues are resolved.

On the 18.5" old style, I learned that closing off two of the bottom vents completely and then adjusting the other just a bit while leaving the top vent wide open works better than farking around with all three vents. I typically try to catch the temp on the way up and check temps about every 15 minutes until it stabilizes at the desired temp. It also seems to work better using the Minion method (load with fuel, light about a 1/3 chimney of coals, and dump on top of the rest of the fuel) than firing up all the coals at once.

On both, I try to open the door and/or remove the lid as little as possible. About the only time I open the door is if the temp won't come up or I am so low on fuel that I have to add some (rarely happens; I've had 12+ hours with a full load in the 22.5").

i didnt use the water pan full of water. I bought a ceramic saucer but it was too small so i wrapped it in foil, and put it in the water bowl. I dont think its out of round, the only area i see smoke escape is from right around the door

This may also be part of your problem, not enough thermal mass. I know it isn't popular, but I've always used water in the WSMs and had great results (other than the cleanup after; I suppose if I foiled the bowl it would help).

I switched to a clay saucer and have used less fuel than what I normally went through with water. I wrap the saucer and the water pan and set the saucer on top of the water pan.

I only light about 10 - 15 briquettes and usually shut down the vents just under 200 degrees, so I don't go over.

I am sure there are some WSM experts here that will be able to figure it out.

I'm thinking the problem may be the lump, I had trouble controlling temps, lump was getting to hot, with it when I got my 18.5 WSM, switched to just briquettes and have no problem at all now. Try just briquettes, I light a little less than half a small chimney, add it using the minion method and you should see better results.
I've been using sand in my water pan for a year now also.

Scott

I'm thinking the problem may be the lump, I had trouble controlling temps, lump was getting to hot...
True that. If using lump coal you have to carefully arrange it and pack it tight.
Don't use a weed burner. Start by using about 15 lit charcoals in the center of the ring.
Carefully bend the door by hand to get the best fit. Start with all vents closed just to see how it reacts.
Once you learn it's sweet spot it, you will know how to adjust for your target temp.

Took the words right off my keyboard.

Third this. Start by using lighting fewer coals. Like six to eight pieces, not a half bag's worth, then add them on top of the rest of your fuel load. I have gone back to using briquettes because the uneven pieces of lump burn much more quickly and less predictably.

Also - the terra cotta mod, is much more sensitive to temp spikes than the water pan. When I take off the lid to mop or re-season the meat, I move fast and minimize the time the lid is off. I take the grate out of the WSM, replace the cover, then do all my mopping outside the cooker where I can take my sweet time.

Thx for advice. I may just go the sand route in the pan and forget the lump except in my drum

This may also be part of your problem, not enough thermal mass. I know it isn't popular, but I've always used water in the WSMs and had great results (other than the cleanup after; I suppose if I foiled the bowl it would help).

I use water too in my WSM, mine dials in like a champ at 250 with very little adjustment. I don't know about the thermal mass part. I use K briquettes and fist sized chunks (4-5) and get a fine 6-7 hour burn out of it without adding any more fuel.

The WSM easily gets out of round. It may not look like it is, but it could be. The UPS is not always gentle with your package. Take a tape measure and measure across the round opening of the lid. record the measurement. Measure across the lid 90* from the previous one, record. If it's more than 1/4 in, reround the opening by gently pushing in on the wides area. Put the lid on the floor and gently push down on it, in the widest area, then remeasure. When your'e done with the lid move on to the center sections, both ends, then the base. Just my .02:p

i will check that out but is a five yr old unit not new. Everything feels like it fits real tight when i assemble

I may just go the sand route in the pan and forget the lump except in my drum
I have yet to try anything other than water, so can't speak to the sand. However, I have had great luck with lump in my WSMs. I have been using briqs for the last year only because I bought 1000 lbs of Rancher that I'm still burning through. When it's gone, it's back to lump.

i will check that out but is a five yr old unit not new. Everything feels like it fits real tight when i assemble
One of the WSMs I bought used was several years old, but still slightly out of round. It could be the bowl, the center section, or the dome. Check them all.

When its cool enough to handle, just drop the center section into the bottom section, twist it around and look at the joint where they meet. Mines a little out of wack but when twisting it, it gets to a point where it seals up and thats where I leave it.
Hope that makes sense.

Scott

I use nothing but RO lump in my WSM, and haven't any temp control issues once I figured out few things (mainly what others have already said).

Where I ran into the most problems was when I had a packed charcoal ring due to a long smoke. You just can't let too much air get to your charcoal bed, or you will have a heck of a time trying to get your temps back down.
Also, you really have to creep your way up to temp. Watch how fast your temp is rising as you approach your target temp and react accordingly. If it is ramping up pretty fast, you are going to need to shut down your bottom vents fast. Like others have said, I keep 2 bottom vents close and control the heat with a single vent, usually just barely cracked or completely closed as I approach the target temp. I'd rather wait an hour to let my temps creep up than battle a charcoal bed that's too hot for the entire smoke.

I also use sand, filled to about 2 inches below the top of the water pan, then a layer of foil on top that you can just discard after each smoke.

Lastly, plan ahead when you are going to open the top. About 5-10 minutes before you are going to remove the top, shut all three bottom vents. When you remove the top, try to limit the amount of time you have it removed. If you have to, remove the grates, put the lid back on and do whatever you have to do somewhere else. I just lay some foil down on top of a glass top table we have outside, and put the grates on that if I need to wrap, mop, etc.

This sucker was still hot today. So air has to be getting in as i had all 3 vents closed plus the top. I took the center section out and measured to see if it was out of round and it wasnt. I will check the bottom of this section, and the bowl/lid when it finally closes down. I will also check the one vent that has the "bent" wheel, i think i flattened it pretty good though... The door didnt seem to leak much. gotta figure it out

Back