Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)

oifmarine2003

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is my entry for the Japanese throwdown that Silverfinger picked after his very impressive Viking feast win.

After doing a lot of research, I found a dish that seemed fairly easy and yet something that I would like. Okonomiyaki apparently means "as you like" in Japanese so there are numerous variations of this dish out there. Now, let's get started!

Here are the main ingredients:

The list of ingredients is as follows:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup dashi (or water)
1 egg
3 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup grated carrots
1 cup grated zucchini
1 chopped onion
Bacon
Okonomiyaki sauce (or Worcestershire sauce)
Mayonnaise

You need to mix the flour, dashi, egg, cabbage, carrot, and zucchini in a large bowl.

Next, heat some oil in the pan and pour the mixture into the pan and form it into a pancake. Top the mixture with bacon strips. Note: You should have enough to make 2-3 pancakes from this recipe.

Sorry about the poor quality of the last picture but I couldn't do the cook last night until my boys went to bed and the monsoon in Chicago was over. The flash had to be turned off to get anything even remotely visible.

Anyway, cook each side 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Here is a shot after flipping. The bacon is now on the bottom getting cooked.

I know it smelled good because my dog was at my feet the entire cook with her bone, waiting for some scraps!

After each side is cooked, pull from the pan. Top with okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise,and green onions. Upon further review, I made a last minute change and left the green onions off. Here is a shot with some miso soup.

The following picture will be my official entry shot. Come on over and visit the throwdown forum!

He did it - He got the bacon in there!

Great job - Simple and I want to taste it!

Next time try using Japanese mayo. It's flavor is different than ours. You might add some panko to the mix too. Top with Bulldog Sauce. Yum!

Nice cook Chris!
QP mayo is not commonly available at most general "Asian" markets. Japanese and Korean markets have them, at least here in LA.
There are only a couple of okonomiyaki joints that I know of here and the one I've been to on several occasions (Gaja) the menu is quite extensive. You can cook your own at your table or they can cook it for you in the kitchen. It can be a little tricky at first.

That looks real good. When I was brainstorming for ideas, I saw that as well. It is definitely something I am going to try.

Back