Cleaning a barrel that had 50/50 coolant.

R

Ryan_289

I picked up a barrel today at a local flea market. The cleanest one I could find and a sticker on it that said 50/50 antifreeze. It was bare metal and dry inside save for a bit at the bottom. The other barrels that had no liners had various oils in them and were pretty oily. Can I just take warm soap and water to clean out any residue from the antifreeze? It there is any left its got to be MINIMAL as the walls of the drum are bright shiny and dry.

BTW, im reading the drum smoker thread. Im on page 73. Ive got a LONG way to go:doh:

I would clean with soap and water,first and then give it a burnout. Drill your bottom air inlets before your burn.:thumb:

I washed it out with the steam cleaner at work with some dish soap. I brought home a couple of pallets to burn it out in. Im going to try to do that later tonight.

I filled it up with two oak pallets last night. Dang that thing got hot:shocked: Pre drilling the intake holes at the bottom was an A+ idea. It got red hot around those vents. Ill post pics of the build when im finished. I let a buddy borrow my mig welder last weekend. Hope he is done with it. Ill get the basket done this weekend if I get my welder back.

Back