Well, here goes...

mnmikew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First time out with the WSM. First pork butt, first brisket(flat only). Everything on at 7am. Ambient temp at start, 9F.

Butt injected with Lillys base with some Plowboys yardbird mixed in. Rubbed down with yardbird. Brisket injected with some beef broth with some Plowboys Bovine Bold mixed in, rubbed with same.

Two chimneys of KB with some hickory chunks, full lit chimney.

IQ110 set at 275, Maverick 732 showing around 260 at start. Will see how the IQ and 732 like the cold. Vent on top opened 1/4 as I have some leakage from the door. Anyone have any suggestions before I fark this up? :becky:

Attachments

• BBQ 001.jpg
    BBQ 001.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 253
  • BBQ 002.jpg
    BBQ 002.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 253
  • BBQ 003.jpg
    BBQ 003.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Oh yeah, its a 5 lb butt and an 8 lb flat. Have the 732 probe in the brisket (lower rack). What IT should I be looking for for the brisket before foiling and resting? I do not have a Thermapen yet so I'm gonna have to do the probe test for doneness. When should I foil the butt?

OMG!!! and I was complaining about it being 40 degrees here when I got up. I LOVE cooking outdoors, but I HATE cold weather..
Let us know how it all plays out. Good Luck & Stay Warm

4 hours in. Pit says 252, brisket probe 160. Up to a sweltering 30F here now. :grin:

Last edited:
Looks like you're off to a great start, enjoy.:thumb:

I normally wrap briskets when the color is what I want, usually in the 160-170 range. Make sure to add some beef broth or beer when you wrap the brisket. As for as when briskets are done, just slide your temp probe in and if it goes in like butter, then it is ready to be pulled. I don't wrap butts. I usually take them to 200-205, then wrap and into the cooler for a 1 hr rest.

All done. Brisket was a bit dry, think I probably had it on a little too long. Can't wait till a rematch. Thanks for all the support/tips everyone!

Attachments

• BBQ 004.jpg
    BBQ 004.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 163
Make sure you let the briskie take a nice, long rest before cutting it. Nothin' dries them out faster than cutting them hot.

Good lookin' grub!

Make sure you let the briskie take a nice, long rest before cutting it. Nothin' dries them out faster than cutting them hot.

Good lookin' grub!

Humm,wonder if that was it. Let it sit in cooler w towels for bout an hour.

You did great! Flats are a bit tougher to keep moist. There not the fat on it that a point has.

Back