Rubbery Skin!!

Gringoloco

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I need some advice on how to get a good crispy skin on my smoked chicken without burning it. I hate to see a great looking and tasting piece of chicken with rubbery skin!!
Thanks

Sprinkle a little baking powder (not soda!) on the skin along with the rub, you won’t taste it but it helps make the crispy skin when smoking, I do it with my Hunsaker for wings or whole chicken cooking at 350 with a pan underneath to catch drippings (less cleanup) and always crispy skin

Never tired the baking powder, will have to give it a try

For whole chicken, I cook at about 400 until the breast temps 165 (roughly an hour). Skin is nice and crispy.

I find that the baking powder only really works with wings and if you coat them ahead of time. I have never been able to get it to work with other chicken parts.

For chicken parts like thighs/breasts, cook indirect with high heat on side. I have the best results with a chimney of lump on side of a 22” Weber and the chicken on the opposite side with a pan underneath. I don’t use any oil or spray and the skin crisps up just fine.

I fire up the Hunsaker and then start prepping chicken while it’s getting clean smoke and temp, that’s going to take 1 hour for me. Pull out chicken, pat dry, baking powder lightly and then coat with seasoning, usually I use q salt or peppery lime and hot salt or lately I’ve been on a oak ridge Smokey chile lime kick. Then put the chicken in fridge while I finish waiting for smoke and then on it goes. Wings I flip after 30 - 40 mins, spatchcock I flip when it’s just about finished temp wise. For me always crispy, everything else I’ve tried always gave me a rubbery texture. Before the baking powder it got to the point where I just used the big easy for chicken, now the big easy gets used on turkey day for a smaller second turkey for those who don’t care for the smoke.

Not a big fan of the smoked chicken.

But, I'd take it grilled all day. The advice is to cook it at higher heat or finish it at higher heat. You surely can do that with a smoker- but high heat says grill to me.

x2 for high heat chicken, the only time I ever put chicken in a cooker at "smoking temps" is for competition style thighs cooked in a pan, otherwise its spatchcock + indirect higher heat cook + direct finish on the Primo XL, on the Weber kettle rotisserie, or using a Vortex on the Weber kettle. In all 3 of those methods, I still use a little bit of wood chips/chunks to give it a very light hint of smoke. Best of both worlds if you ask me. :thumb:

I tried the boiling water method I had seen on here
from one of the brethren. My mate does not normally eat chicken skin, nor do I...but we ate all of it on the drum sticks. The method works.

I salt and leave uncovered in the fridge for several hours. Works for me (and higher temps say 375-425)

I cook my ducks and chicken in a cast iron pot with lid off and a backing rack in them.
I cook at 300F/350F and flip every hour for 3 hours. The skin isn't as nice in this picture because I had to pull it early because people where hungry, but you get the idea. This was deboned and stuffed with sausage, which also slows down the skin crisping.

UCRlsSLevMVbYcqtuTapTfcILQl6XpYs1qpLKfoZKGVxR4t9yu0PPrXdhrGYcWddmL1rO1rZCenweiOPs4e6idCMF1V6EieDc5GUt3-Zw3u7a4ltKLkFuRRsLrrAukZwfHBtr69sPHsskIS39hytQ1TZQfCrjd66-0CIuzI7gYPuZYupZeDXYljZmunJAL9lZr6X9m5Y2_TT4O_ifztMI8c8sP-8uFQjnArm9_jbk76jxWLPwsb4UXaFXhKLyv2aCXftMhOzjU0nGVkn8_8DSY8t7ucbFw53xjbwycz9P_phvbR07h4qvtfcquWq1xOXordmdtSJQ4DXoLnquONBt_pRtkh4p8yj-gZJJ75Yb9kq2b-GpeG8544WBIoH2aKmV6WQPIWhMxjetiFYSK9Ju8RLWfDbiCer3AMDqEaGXXM-C8QEXuUHfaD-FC3B_uZaGzjyX2SDXzcwh58OaOXz-Vp1-iTQ9nHORsEvWwdysp3FraTJIye6-1TQiEcQIxi4RM1AyYutllAcvSBQ9o4Nr8IY7H5eBxEZSQxka7i999sK7xq9SDd8WgL-L2MTdhkhEIH9PgiFRNBvibDKIuE4dQ_3Wsimi9nRMZ0X4q73K6txHtTexhI96Tgz=w1759-h1319-no

x2 for high heat chicken, the only time I ever put chicken in a cooker at "smoking temps" is for competition style thighs cooked in a pan, otherwise its spatchcock + indirect higher heat cook + direct finish on the Primo XL, on the Weber kettle rotisserie, or using a Vortex on the Weber kettle. In all 3 of those methods, I still use a little bit of wood chips/chunks to give it a very light hint of smoke. Best of both worlds if you ask me. :thumb:

x3 on the high heat... I either hang them in my WSM or, more often, use a kettle/vortex combo. The kettle/vortex is my favorite method. And as sudsandswine correctly points out a little wood for a little smoke. Yardbird doesn’t tolerate much smoke IMHO... usually use a very little oak with a little cherry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I tried the boiling water method I had seen on here
from one of the brethren. My mate does not normally eat chicken skin, nor do I...but we ate all of it on the drum sticks. The method works.

Yes...it does...:wink:

I'm not a big fan of slow smoked chicken for the fact of rubbery skin. I like to spatchcock them and go hot and fast around 375-400 to get some crisp on the skin.

That's what I am working on. I seem to have a difficult time getting a bite thru skin. I can't hardly crank up the smoker to 375 to get better skin when I have ribs and brisket in it at the same time. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Back