Pinto Beans

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thinking of doing some pintos tomorrow. Due to my good crockpot being packed, I have my smaller one to use. Can I half the recipe without changing any cooking times? Plan on 1/2 pound instead of a pound. I want to do the recipe for Texas Pit Beans from Peace, Love & BBQ.

Yup. Cooking time should stay the same. Can't ever remember having overcooked pintos. Long as there is liquid in the pot, you won't hurt em.

beans

ain't no such thing as overcooking pinto beans...that is as long as that afore mentioned liquid is in the pot. The longer the better I say.
john

I went ahead and doing the whole batch. It filled up the smaller crockpot. Only issue is, recipe calls to be cooked on medium for 6-8 hours. Mine has low and high. Should I switch back and forth?

Hmmm...

I have a smoked turkey leg and neck leftover from Thanksgiving. Might be time for a pot of beans...

Here is the recipe from the book.

Vencil's recipe from The Taylor Cafe'

1 pound dried pintos
2 cups minced yellow onion
1 cup chopped bacon
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground

Wash and sort beans. Soak overnight.

Drain and rinse beans. Put them in a large pot. Add onions, bacon, chili powder and salt. Caover with cold water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally.

For crockpot, prepare as above, but add 6 cups of water. Cook on medium 6-8 hours. Add water if needed to keep beans covered.

thillin said:
Here is the recipe from the book.

Vencil's recipe from The Taylor Cafe'

1 pound dried pintos
2 cups minced yellow onion
1 cup chopped bacon
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground

Wash and sort beans. Soak overnight.

Drain and rinse beans. Put them in a large pot. Add onions, bacon, chili powder and salt. Caover with cold water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally.

For crockpot, prepare as above, but add 6 cups of water. Cook on medium 6-8 hours. Add water if needed to keep beans covered.

I know that recipe. The place isn't what it used to be, but the beans weren't bad the last time I was there and they used to be incredible!

Vencil's Slow Beans

Jorge said:
I know that recipe. The place isn't what it used to be, but the beans weren't bad the last time I was there and they used to be incredible!

Try them Beans with a smoked Hock or somthin' smoked in it.. add a couple bay leaves and enough cayenne to suit yo taste.I also like 'em a little mo' salty... so if'n yo smoked meat ain't salty add some mo' salt. I'm also partial to a little ground cumin in my pintos.
John

no chilli powder cilatro? beer? NO BEER? those aren't texas beans

tumpedover said:
Try them Beans with a smoked Hock or somthin' smoked in it.. add a couple bay leaves and enough cayenne to suit yo taste.I also like 'em a little mo' salty... so if'n yo smoked meat ain't salty add some mo' salt. I'm also partial to a little ground cumin in my pintos.
John

The sausage served on top of the beans at the Taylor Cafe has plenty of salt:cool:

They came out pretty good. I'll be adding some jalapeno or hotsauce to my servings. But overall, a good pot of pintos. Another off my BBQ recipe to-do list.

Attachments

• Texas Pit Beans 004.jpg
    Texas Pit Beans 004.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back