• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Burn out ?

G

g_mo

Got a used drum w/ red liner in it. Tried to burn it out. Aint happening. Burned for a while and the lower portion of the drum where the coals were had slight orange glow so I know it was very hot but the liner is still there. How hot does it need to get to burn that liner out?

Have you tried a wire brush or some hose pressure on the spots where it glowed through? Some have noted that after burning the remains of the liner came off easily with a scrubbing or pressure washing.

Chris

It looks like the whole liner is still there. I scraped it some thinking maybe it loosened up but it didn't. It burned off the bottom side of the lid but not inside the drum.

:crazy::crazy:Red liner barrel is good for one thing and it isn't for a UDS. I tried burning one out 4 times for hours along with a wire wheel/brush and couldn't get it out. Use it as a burn barrel and get one thats unlined...trust me.

:crazy::crazy:Red liner barrel is good for one thing and it isn't for a UDS. I tried burning one out 4 times for hours along with a wire wheel/brush and couldn't get it out. Use it as a burn barrel and get one thats unlined...trust me.

Thanks. I guess I'll start looking for an unlined drum.

If you're trying to burn it with charcoal, thats you're problem. You need to start a fire in it. A real fire. I used a large pallet, broken down and let it blaze...came right off...except for the lid. I wire brushed that because I was afraid it would warp, so i kept it out of the fire.

Last edited:
Burned mine twice and wire wheeled in between and after the second burn. Went through four large pallets and a pile of brush and wood. Great fire, tons of scrubbing, and three wire wheels. But it's gone.

I had a paint barrel , went to burn it out had large fire for 3 hours.
stuff still there, then was told paint was water base, so sanded it out .:doh:

My liner took two burns and a couple of hours with a wire wheel. The next two I built with unlined drums. Lesson learned.

I did one burn on my lined barrel,beige liner turned red after the burn and I removed it quite simply with a wirebrush.

One thing I never understood and maybe could be explained to me. If it takes a fire of 500 degrees to burn off a liner, then what would it hurt to leave it there when it only going to hit maybe 300* max anyway? In a couple of smokes its going to be covered in fat and creosote.

:confused:

Release of Toxic Gases..

One thing I never understood and maybe could be explained to me. If it takes a fire of 500 degrees to burn off a liner, then what would it hurt to leave it there when it only going to hit maybe 300* max anyway? In a couple of smokes its going to be covered in fat and creosote.

:confused:

Just because it isn't burning doesn't mean it isn't giving off Toxic Gases...not something you want to risk infusing into your BBQ.

Play it safe, remove the lining one way or another, or get a different barrel (honestly they're not that hard to find...besides it's better to take your time and find that bargain/diamond in the ruff...it's part of the "UDS Process" ) :thumb:

Best of luck,

Keyth<--:crazy:

Just because it isn't burning doesn't mean it isn't giving off Toxic Gases...not something you want to risk infusing into your BBQ.

Play it safe, remove the lining one way or another, or get a different barrel (honestly they're not that hard to find...besides it's better to take your time and find that bargain/diamond in the ruff...it's part of the "UDS Process" ) :thumb:

Best of luck,

Keyth<--:crazy:

I've already got one done, last summer, just always wondered about the liner theory.

Back