• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CL Score!!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've been wanting a good slicer for a long long time, but never seem to get that lucky on Craigslist. ChicagoKP found me one the other day and I jumped on it. A Berkel for $100!! It was great find.

Now a question. The only negative thing I can say about this is the blade is dull. It needs sharpening badly and I don't have the stones or the sharpening attachment that is supposed to be used. Do any brethren in the Chicagoland area know a place I can take this blade to get it sharpened? Or nationally a place I can mail to would work as well...

Nice score!

I think any place that sharpens knives will be able to sharpen that, but I've never had to get one sharpened :-D

Sweet score!!!!

I'd love to have a slicer! Though I don't dare mention it or show these pics to Tasha as it would prompt immediate house shopping since we have run out of places to store things this size....

Nice score!

I was just poking around the house and I asked my wife what happened to our slicer... she sold it at a yard sale!

http://www.frederickandson.com/services.html

these guys offer a service... I have not used them myself.

Thanks! They look like a great option. I put in a few calls/emails to local knife sharpening services but none of the businesses answer the damn phone!

In your last photo there is a post mount for a two wheel sharpener. Check out the manufacturer and you should be able to find one that goes for your unit.

In your last photo there is a post mount for a two wheel sharpener. Check out the manufacturer and you should be able to find one that goes for your unit.

Its an 825.

Yea, I've found the part, but it's $225 plus 15 bucks shipping. Its hard to spend that much on something I paid $100 for. The guys in NJ @ the link posted above quoted me $35 to sharpen it.. If I don't find anything better, I'll probably just send it there for now and keep my eyes peeled for a deal on the sharpener...

I have a Berkel and I use it all the time. This is correct, mine has one. You just flip the sharpener onto the blade, works great. I know you don't want to spend the money, but you really will use it. My Berkel is also the heaviest thing on the planet. Moving it around on your own is a real pain, but I can't go back to making jerky or bacon without it.....or smoked roast beef....or coppa sliced so so thin....drool.

I would not use that slicer unless you get the sharpener.
It will protect you from certain ER visits.
Once I grabbed mine w/o the sharpener on it - it cut me bad.
I mean the machine was off and I was just moving it.
Keep that thing unplugged.
BUT - if you are STUBBORN, and you wanted to sharpen it, you could turn it on and hold a stone on each edge for 30 seconds or so... be careful.
Or pay $275 for a new blade!

I found a new blade for 199, and I know it's coming, but I'm trying to keep this on the cheap, at least until after I buy a new smoker.. Hoping to keep Mrs Shagdog happy :wink:

By the way, found a local sharpening service, really nice guy, willing to take a crack at it for a $20. Sounds like he really knows his stuff, so... Sold!

Honest, Shaggy, just sharpen the blade with stones.
Or get the sharpener.
Just see that open blade up top,
it's dangerous as can be. The sharpener covers that edge.

Back