• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kansas Hot Links.

Cabntmkr1

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I recently made some of my Kansas hot links... they didn't last long.
My son took some home, and my SIL took some. My wife doesn't like hot stuff, so what was left was all mine!:heh:

Attachments

• Kansas Hot Links.jpg
    Kansas Hot Links.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 343
I recently made some of my Kansas hot links... they didn't last long.
My son took some home, and my SIL took some. My wife doesn't like hot stuff, so what was left was all mine!:heh:

Can you elaborate as to what a Kansas hot link is? Big link fan. Looking for something new to try! :thumb:

And the rest was yours???????
You BBQ Dawg You!!! They look GREAT!!!

A Kansas Hot link is my version of a good ol' hot link, mixed in with some home-state pride.
I refined my recipe over the years to what it is now, and am completely satisfied with the final version.
I use two slightly different versions, depending on whether, or not, I intend to smoke them after stuffing the casings. If so, then I have to add a cure to the mix, and a bit less salt. Smoking seems to concentrate the salt flavor somewhat.
The casings shrink a bit during the smoking process, but a short trip into some boiling water cures them of this. Get it? Short CURE?? Ha!:laugh:

A Kansas Hot link is my version of a good ol' hot link, mixed in with some home-state pride.
I refined my recipe over the years to what it is now, and am completely satisfied with the final version.
I use two slightly different versions, depending on whether, or not, I intend to smoke them after stuffing the casings. If so, then I have to add a cure to the mix, and a bit less salt. Smoking seems to concentrate the salt flavor somewhat.
The casings shrink a bit during the smoking process, but a short trip into some boiling water cures them of this. Get it? Short CURE?? Ha!:laugh:

I want to try some of those. :cool: I've been looking for some time for a good hot link but been very dissatisfied with store bought ones.

I'm with Steve and want to try those. Always looking for a good Hot Link.

how do they differ from "texas" hot links?

The last time I was in your neighborhood, I ate at Pig In Pig Out. They had pretty good hot links.

http://piginpigoutbbq.com/default.aspx

They do have good links, and as much as it pains me to say. So does Hog Wild BBQ in Wichita. Everything else there isnt that good, but there links are spot on. I have talked to one of the GM's and they dont use Sysco or any other Restaurant supplier, they "make them" or basically have them made for them.

how do they differ from "texas" hot links?
I like to think the Kansas hot links have a deeper flavor profile, sort of a refined flavor.
I have tried the so-called Texas hot link, and others, but still prefer mine to them.
Maybe it's all in what you get used to...?

I want to try some of those. :cool: I've been looking for some time for a good hot link but been very dissatisfied with store bought ones.
I'm sorry, Steve. I should have called you over for some.:redface:
I will be making them again in the next couple of months... as soon as I lose the weight gain from this batch! :becky:

For those who want to make some...here's the recipe.
If you do make some, please come back and comment, or pm me and let me know how you liked them.

Kansas Hot Links

10 lbs. Pork Butt
2 1/2 lbs. Beef Chuck Roast
1 cup Non-fat Dry Milk Powder
1 cup Dark Lager Beer
2 Tbs. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbs. Ground White Pepper
2 Tbs. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
3 Tbs. Cayenne Pepper
3 Tbs. Fresh Minced Garlic
5 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
3 Tbs. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp. Ground Bay Leaf
1 tsp. Sweet Basil, or Thyme
1/2 tsp. Ground Sage
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
12 Tb. Tapatio Brand Hot Sauce
Big Pinch Each Of Aniseed and Cumin
2 1/4" Collagen Casings-Optional

Cut meat into grinder-sized chunks and put into freezer for about an hour to chill.
Put spices/herbs into a bowl and add the beer slowly while stirring, until all of the beer is added, and there are no lumps. Pour over the meat chunks and then put this into the refrigerator to chill. Grind the meat once with the coarse-grind blade. Stuff into 2 1/4" casings and twist off into 5" or 6" links, or roll into "meatballs" and roll into patties between two sheets of waxed paper.
There are a lot of ingredients in this, but well worth the investment, imho.
If you plan to smoke these, add 2 ½ tsp. of cure to the mix to prevent bacterial formation while in the smoker.

I'm sorry, Steve. I should have called you over for some.:redface:
I will be making them again in the next couple of months... as soon as I lose the weight gain from this batch! :becky:

For those who want to make some...here's the recipe.
If you do make some, please come back and comment, or pm me and let me know how you liked them.

Kansas Hot Links

10 lbs. Pork Butt
2 1/2 lbs. Beef Chuck Roast
1 cup Non-fat Dry Milk Powder
1 cup Dark Lager Beer
2 Tbs. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbs. Ground White Pepper
2 Tbs. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
3 Tbs. Cayenne Pepper
3 Tbs. Fresh Minced Garlic
5 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
3 Tbs. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp. Ground Bay Leaf
1 tsp. Sweet Basil, or Thyme
1/2 tsp. Ground Sage
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
12 Tb. Tapatio Brand Hot Sauce
Big Pinch Each Of Aniseed and Cumin
2 1/4" Collagen Casings-Optional

Cut meat into grinder-sized chunks and put into freezer for about an hour to chill.
Put spices/herbs into a bowl and add the beer slowly while stirring, until all of the beer is added, and there are no lumps. Pour over the meat chunks and then put this into the refrigerator to chill. Grind the meat once with the coarse-grind blade. Stuff into 2 1/4" casings and twist off into 5" or 6" links, or roll into "meatballs" and roll into patties between two sheets of waxed paper.
There are a lot of ingredients in this, but well worth the investment, imho.
If you plan to smoke these, add 2 ½ tsp. of cure to the mix to prevent bacterial formation while in the smoker.

Wow thanks! I love hot links, I just built my first smoker (UDS) and have been wanting to make some hot links...didn't know if you just bought links from the store and smoked them or made your own. This looks like something I would like to try. How do you stuff it in the casings? Is there a tool or do you do it by hand? What casings do you buy, or does it matter.

I know I will like them. Tapatio is my favorite hot sauce, other than my own. But Tapatio has a hidden sweetness like mine, (Cider Vinegar).

Wow thanks! I love hot links, I just built my first smoker (UDS) and have been wanting to make some hot links...didn't know if you just bought links from the store and smoked them or made your own. This looks like something I would like to try. How do you stuff it in the casings? Is there a tool or do you do it by hand? What casings do you buy, or does it matter.

If you have a hand grinder, you can usually buy an attachment tube that goes on the end of it to stuff them. Same for electric grinders. The attachment came with mine though. OR you can make your life a lot easier and get a sausage stuffer. I'm actually going to order one today, so I don't speak from experience, but from what I've read it makes life a lot easier when making sausages. It's a royal pain to stuff with my electric grinder.

Back