Turn-in Box Video

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of a basics of turn-in boxes video?

We have a number of new competitors for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren and I'd like to point them in the right direction.

Thanks!

Eric

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOc6KwRR1WM"]Competition Box Pred by Carolina Pitmasters BBQ School - YouTube[/ame]

That would be great. Thanks.

Please do me a favor and pm me what times work for you. I'm thinking Saturday evening for all new teams?

Eric

Have them earn their stripes like the rest of us have... and just figure it out.

Actually, I think that's the Brethren's new motto. "Screw 'em. Let them figure it out on their own."

Very prescient.

Eric

For Cue's Your Daddy

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prescience

pre·science

noun
\ˈpre-sh(ē-)ən(t)s, ˈprē-, -s(ē-)ən(t)s\

Definition of PRESCIENCE

: foreknowledge of events: a : divine omniscience b : human anticipation of the course of events : foresight

pre·scient adjective
pre·scient·ly adverb

See prescience defined for English-language learners »

See prescience defined for kids »

Examples of PRESCIENCE

1. He predicted their response with amazing prescience.
  2. Her prescience as an investor is impressive.

Origin of PRESCIENCE

Middle English, from Late Latin praescientia, from Latin praescient-, praesciens, present participle of praescire to know beforehand, from prae- + scire to know — more at scienceFirst Known Use: 14th century

Related to PRESCIENCE

Synonyms: foreknowledge, foresight
Antonyms: improvidence, myopia, shortsightedness

Have them earn their stripes like the rest of us have... and just figure it out.

I kinda have mixed feelings about this comment. I do no totally disagree with you though. Here's my issues about helping fellow BBQ competitors:

1 - If I paid $500 at a cooking class, and picked up a tip I use (or even tips I don not use) I do not tell anyone else. It is not fair to me, who's spent upwards on close to $1,000 to take this class, and it's not fair to the teachers of that class. I hate that with a passion when someone on any forum says " I learned this and that from so and so's class".. :mmph:.. It's BS and not fair to anyone.

2 - If it is something I came up with on my own, it is my choice to decide how and what I tell and who I tell it to. If I want to share what I've come up with to the world, I post it here.

3 - If someone asks me specifically, I e-mail them privately. I won't lie to anybody, but I may or may not tell them everything.

4 - I'd rather help someone out while I'm at a contest. I recently volunteered to be a mentor to a backyarder at his first contest. He was G.C. in the back yard division. It was gratifying to see him win, but the dude was a heck of a cook to begin with.. I just helped him enough to learn the game.

Actually, I think that's the Brethren's new motto. "Screw 'em. Let them figure it out on their own."

Very prescient.

Eric
Yes that is exactly what I wrote. Thanks for clarifying my statement in a cheap attempt to beguile the other readers.:clap:

clint's coming up? Eric, you can tell teams to stop by our site on saturday. We'll show them whatever we can, but we're no all stars.

I kinda have mixed feelings about this comment. I do no totally disagree with you though. Here's my issues about helping fellow BBQ competitors:

1 - If I paid $500 at a cooking class, and picked up a tip I use (or even tips I don not use) I do not tell anyone else. It is not fair to me, who's spent upwards on close to $1,000 to take this class, and it's not fair to the teachers of that class. I hate that with a passion when someone on any forum says " I learned this and that from so and so's class".. :mmph:.. It's BS and not fair to anyone.

2 - If it is something I came up with on my own, it is my choice to decide how and what I tell and who I tell it to. If I want to share what I've come up with to the world, I post it here.

3 - If someone asks me specifically, I e-mail them privately. I won't lie to anybody, but I may or may not tell them everything.

4 - I'd rather help someone out while I'm at a contest. I recently volunteered to be a mentor to a backyarder at his first contest. He was G.C. in the back yard division. It was gratifying to see him win, but the dude was a heck of a cook to begin with.. I just helped him enough to learn the game.

I agree with you, we are not talking cooking, technique, or even lending another team some supplies. This is about how to build a turn in box. There are thousand of photos of competition boxes. If from looking at those, you can't figure it out... I guess a paint by number approach is needed. What we do lose is creativity and the ability to develop problem solving skills.
my 2¢.

I agree with you, we are not talking cooking, technique, or even lending another team some supplies. This is about how to build a turn in box. There are thousand of photos of competition boxes. If from looking at those, you can't figure it out... I guess a paint by number approach is needed. What we do lose is creativity and the ability to develop problem solving skills.
my 2¢.

I believe that presentation/box building skills are the 5th catagory. Therefore, I feel this is also part of a team's secret. I agree with you thought, there are tons of box photos out there to get ideas from, and it still takes a bit of artwork to pull it off.

102.852 total presenation points out of 720 total points. Pretty important.

What ever happened to trial and error......or just doing your homework. It took us years to develope the techniques we use. I'm all about helping fellow competitors out, but they are my COMPETITORS! You need to borrow a basting brush or some apple juice, you got it. You want to see how I make my boxes....take a hike!

Back