Ugly Drum Smoker Photo Gallery

I've found no need for one. Excellent O2 control means keeping the temps where you want them. No flare ups because there simply isn't enough air. About 24 inches between the fire and the food makes things pretty indirect.

It's like steering an oil tanker. Make a correction, and in 30 minutes you will see where it goes. Once it's dialed in, it will stay there for hours with little fuss. I've put on a brisket and gone to bed.

Question for ya? what diameter and height on the fire basket? and you use lump or reg charcoal?

thanks!

I've found no need for one. Excellent O2 control means keeping the temps where you want them. No flare ups because there simply isn't enough air. About 24 inches between the fire and the food makes things pretty indirect.

It's like steering an oil tanker. Make a correction, and in 30 minutes you will see where it goes. Once it's dialed in, it will stay there for hours with little fuss. I've put on a brisket and gone to bed.

Excellent point and true but what about those of us running multiple racks? The lower racks are closer than 24" from the fire basket.

Question for ya? what diameter and height on the fire basket? and you use lump or reg charcoal?

thanks!

Varies on basket. I use an unconventional square basket made out of heavy duty wire mesh grate called hog panel but most use round baskets

thanks!

My basket is based on an 18 inch charcoal grate with 12 inch high expanded for walls. I will use either straight lump or sometimes a mix with briquettes if doing a really long cook. IMHO, it doesn't matter. Your airflow determines the temp, providing just enough O2 to burn at the rate you want.

Excellent point and true but what about those of us running multiple racks? The lower racks are closer than 24" from the fire basket.

Yeah, I think you are right. If you have a lower rack with food so close to the fire, I think a diffuser would be in order. I'm Mr Small Time One Rack. :redface: My temp is measured at the food grill level. If I had a lower level rack, I'd have a 2nd probe thermo at that rack also.

Yeah, I think you are right. If you have a lower rack with food so close to the fire, I think a diffuser would be in order. I'm Mr Small Time One Rack. :redface: My temp is measured at the food grill level. If I had a lower level rack, I'd have a 2nd probe thermo at that rack also.

Yea well you and me both. :clap2: My newest drum is a 2 rack set up "just in case" but I haven't had the need to use 2 racks yet.

Here's mine so far. thanks to all in the UDS threads. It held steady @ 300 for 8hrs yesterday during seasoning. Only one pic...

Attachments

• red rocket.jpg
    red rocket.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,057
Not the final car tag, but you get the idea.
7uda9ete.jpg

Hey all- some of you may have seen my last UDS Harley drum and then I was asked to make a Ferrari UDS. Well after much planning and thought I got it done. I used real parts from our race car (not Ferrari). I made the handles from valve springs and Snap-On wrenches complete with exhaust. I used 1 inch outlets as I always do. I know mine are not Ugly Drums but I build what I am asked to. Hope you like this one it took about 40 hours.

Hey all- some of you may have seen my last UDS Harley drum and then I was asked to make a Ferrari UDS. Well after much planning and thought I got it done. I used real parts from our race car (not Ferrari). I made the handles from valve springs and Snap-On wrenches complete with exhaust. I used 1 inch outlets as I always do. I know mine are not Ugly Drums but I build what I am asked to. Hope you like this one it took about 40 hours.

These are not UDSes.....

They are PDS...(Pretty Drum Smokers)...

Fantastic job!

Back