Smoked Turkey

I may be mistaken, but if memeory serves me, a self basting turkey has already been brined by the producer. I'll have to take another look around for info, but I think that is correct.

Did a quick search......evidently they are not brined, but injected with "broth and other flavors".

I spatchcock and then brine (usually a maple bourbon) mine for 24 hours. Pat it dry and put back in fridge uncovered a couple of hours. Then I punch dozens of little holes (I use my meat rakes) in the skin. I mix rub with butter and olive oil and apply it under the skin and on top and then smoke until IT of 120º and then go to 350º to crisp skin.

Why poke all the holes? The skin, as someone put it, is like a wetsuit. Poking the holes allows the fat to render and the skin to crisp. Here is a picture of my last turkey.

P1010028.jpg

Charray - that looks awesome!! I've got a few days off next week, thanks everybody for the ideas!

Make sure you brine it or get it brined before smoking. I smoked a 13.5 lb last weekend. It took 3.5 hours at 300 on a large BGE. I poured olive oil over the skin and in the cavity and then put a rub of sweet paprika, brown sugar, salt and freshly ground pepper all over the skin. I quartered 2 small apples and placed them in the cavity. It was done in 3.5 hours. It was my 1st smoked turkey and it was the best turkey I have ever had.

I followed Wampus last year and had the most moist turkey I ever cooked. Just saying...

Jeff

Back