• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Wings

S

smokin' steeze

Happy Friday Bretheren!

College/Pro Football is kicking into overdrive and I want to mix things up this weekend so I was going to do some Buffalo style chicken wings. I obviously want to smoke them for a period of time prior to either grilling or possibly (I would rather not) frying them for a minute or 2 to crisp the sking.

My questions are this:

1. I want to smoke them around 225 on my UDS I was thinking somewhere in between an hour or 2 but I dont want them to dry out.
2. Do you recomend brining them overnight or marinating them in a sauce (Alabama white or Buffalo most likely)?
3. Which would you choose to do grill or fry?
4. Also sauce suggestions are always encouraged.

Thanks all

JS

I don't marinade or brine wings. I use my regular BBQ rub, and put it on about an hour before putting on the smoker. I'll go 1.5-2 hours at 225, then put on the gasser to finish. I prefer buffalo wings, and stick to the traditional butter and hot sauce mix, but I do add a few squeezes of Siraccha to the mix to kick it up.

I would think no longer than 45 minutes on UDS. You might try this marinade sometime... really good flavor! Enough marinade for 25/30 wings.

1 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons dried basil
In a gallon baggie, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper and dried basil. Mix together. Add chicken wings, cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir together again the next day.

Good Luck!

While I love grilled and smoked, I'm a bigger fan of fried when it comes to wings. Some people smofry em or grill/fry em, too much trouble to go through for me. One thing I have done is inject them, let them sit for an hour or two (refridgerated) then deep fry. Just watch out for the splattering if you inject them cause they will still hold a good bit of the liquid.
From the fryer they go into a large bowl with a bit of evoo and whatever spice etc I'm coating them with, or whatever sauce I'm using. Toss em around, and serve em. Frying let's you make a good size batch at once depending in the size of fryer you have, and you can turn em out a bit faster as well.
When I don't want to mess around with oil, etc, I go with grilling. Most times smoking em won't give you the crispiest of skin.
Bob

Put them in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes, then toss them in butter/hot sauce and put them on the grill for 15 minutes to crisp up the skin and add some char flavor. Then toss them in butter/hot sauce and enjoy.

The hardest part of getting them crispy is getting rid of all the fat without drying them out. I've heard of steaming them before grilling to accomplish the same thing.

The best barbecue wings I've had are from Dinosaur Barbecue and they have a version of their recipe on their web site. The recipe is for the oven, but that's just because most people won't have a smoker. They do smoke their wings there.

They call for
Oil and rub
1:45 - 2 hours @ 275
Toss with sauce
put under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up.

I just do them in the smoker for the same time and then toss on the grill for a few to crisp them up.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/viewRecipe.php?r=37

Ok so it sounds like Im going for an hour on the UDS Im thinking Im just going to hit em with some Olive Oil and maybe a litte rub before I smoke then I still need to decide If I want to finish on the grill or if I want to whip out the fryer.

Also I am thinking of using this sauce recipe:

1 cup hot sauce
1/3 cup vegtable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
3 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch

But I dont understand the need for the egg and cornstarch any thoughts on that one?

I have made great wings twice.

Once was following Alton Brown's method of steaming them and then baking them. I think you could pre-steam the wings, then finish them in the smoker for great results.

The other time was by using Adam Perry Lang's whole chicken recipe. Brine, then smoke. Great as well.

225 is way too low. the skin won't render at all.
crank it up to 275 to 325
air dry them babies for @ 2 hours in the fridge(longer if you can stand it!)
rub em, brush em with melted butter.
on the cooker they go.
@ 45 minutes 1 side, @ 15 minutes the other. watch for a good rendering of the skin.
brush/dunk in sauce.
back on cooker till it sets up and you should be good.
if you're looking for hot"ish" sauce i'd keep it simple.
franks red hot, sriracha, and butter. maybe a dash or 2 of your rub. if it is LOW salt.

Grill them... MUCH better flavor! Once done place in a skillet with your fav hot sauce just a touch of maple syrup (just a little) it really adds to the thicking process of the sauce with not much sweet taste. Bring it to boil then toss and let them simmer so the sauce thickins and it will really stick to the wings! Never have been much on the butter...

I do em all the time on the UDS smoke em around 250 for a while until youre satisfied that they are smoky enough for you then open the vents up and let that temp come on up to 350 check em pretty regular and flip em as needed to get em all the same. If you dont use a heat diffuser they will get crispy.

For seasoning I just put them in a big mixing bowl and toss them with enough EVOO and rub to coat well.

Folks: I've made wings in the fryer and on the grill smokin. The seasoning I use is s & P & granulated garlic. If I'm smokin 'em, I cook 'em the same as a burger - higher heat turning frequently until the have the color I want.

Fresh & unfrozen seems better than frozen.

I serve 'em neked but always have at least 3 sauces available. 1. BBQ 2. Brown Sugar & Teriaki & 3. Ranch dressing.

Never been disappointed - but, hey, I'm a foodie and eat just about anything. :becky:

Here are a few of the seasonings I go with:

lemon pepper
hot (any wing or hot sauce or habanero sauce, sometimes I'll float a raw hab in the mix for added heat)
evoo, grated ginger, scallions, and minced garlic, (add s and p to this mix/the stuff you can grind on your own/Kosher salt is best)
chipotle hot sauce and honey
honey lime (juice and zest)
Plain soy sauce and sesame seeds
Have also made a few with a wine and fruit preserve reduction (raspberry)
Also some balsamic/sugar reduction glaze

DANG.........I'm hungry!

We think the best is a Parked Hot Grill. Chicken Butter and Crystal hot sauce. Makes the the best wings or legs you've ever had. Guaranteed to increase beer or any liquid consumption during the game.

CIMG2713.JPG

Just pulled off a batch myself.

I like to cover with EVOO, then a light coating of rub 30 min before cooking, add fresh ground pepper on top of the rub. 265 for 2 hrs in the smoker. Flip half way through, perfect every time.

Toss half of them with your favorite bbq sauce, the other half toss with the standard butter/franks mix. Can't be beat on a football Saturday. I always make sure to throw in about 50 moink balls along side the wings, it makes a killer combo of apps with your beer.

Just pulled off a batch myself.

I like to cover with EVOO, then a light coating of rub 30 min before cooking, add fresh ground pepper on top of the rub. 265 for 2 hrs in the smoker. Flip half way through, perfect every time.

Toss half of them with your favorite bbq sauce, the other half toss with the standard butter/franks mix. Can't be beat on a football Saturday. I always make sure to throw in about 50 moink balls along side the wings, it makes a killer combo of apps with your beer.

Yesterday I did just about the same thing, except I tried Sirachi/butter/lime juice as my hot sauce and they might have been the best wings I've ever had.

The best barbecue wings I've had are from Dinosaur Barbecue and they have a version of their recipe on their web site. The recipe is for the oven, but that's just because most people won't have a smoker. They do smoke their wings there.

They call for
Oil and rub
1:45 - 2 hours @ 275
Toss with sauce
put under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up.

I just do them in the smoker for the same time and then toss on the grill for a few to crisp them up.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/viewRecipe.php?r=37

Man, Dinosaur BBQ has *the* best wings I've ever had at a restaurant. They are so huge and meaty, nice and crispy on the outside with a good char, but somehow still deliciously juicy on the inside.

Their german potato salad and deviled eggs are also amazing. I'm going to have to make the deviled eggs at my next smoke out.

Yesterday I did just about the same thing, except I tried Sirachi/butter/lime juice as my hot sauce and they might have been the best wings I've ever had.

I've been using Sriracha in my wing sauce for the last two years and they're always a hit.

Here's my sauce recipe

1 stick of melted butter
1 packet of Lipton (or any other brand) onion soup
Sriracha and/or Frank's Red Hot to taste (I'll mix them or use one or the other)

I just cook the wings using any method (grill/oven/smoker/fryer) and then toss in the sauce.

It's very simple, but the soup mix really adds a unique, delicious flavor. I've watched 4 dudes devour 5lbs of wings in about 10 minutes. :thumb:

Back