What is a good hand washing station

Fat Freddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a good idea or suggestion for a hand washing station? I figured a 5 gallon cooler with free flow valve would be best, but I cant find any with a free flow valve anymore. They all seem to be the push button type. I even thought I could buy a replacement valve from igloo or coleman or whichever brand I bought, but I cant even find those.

I will be doing some KCBS contests this year and have limited supplies and funds. In other words I probably wont have a camper but will be going with the pop up canopy I already have. I have done some backyard events so I already have the 3 bin wash station,tables,cookers, fire extinguisher etc. but I am stumped on the best hand washing station for the least amount of money and thought the 5 gallon cooler would be best.

isn't the hot soapy water bin o.k to wash hands, and rinse in the clean bin o.k?

reason I ask, is I know when you vend you are required by HD to have that 4th sink, but in comps, just common sense hand hygiene, like at home, and gloves would make most people happy.

Not the exact answer you're looking for, but using gloves + cleaning up with unscented baby wipes works really well. It's amazing how good of a job those things do.

Acadamy & Walmart carry blue water or clear jugs with a free flow nozzel, just have a catch basin below the unit (use a bus tub). Most KCBS cookoffs do not require either a hand wash station or a 3 sink wash station. Under no circumstances use the 3 sink as a hand wash.

Acadamy & Walmart carry blue water or clear jugs with a free flow nozzel, just have a catch basin below the unit (use a bus tub). Most KCBS cookoffs do not require either a hand wash station or a 3 sink wash station. Under no circumstances use the 3 sink as a hand wash.

Here on the East coast in the great land of red tape more and more municipalities are requiring 3 bay sinks and separate hand wash stations in each competitor's site for comps.

Two of the comps I did last year required the 3 wash bin and 1 of them also required a minimum 2 gallon hot water hand washing station and it was suggested to use a water cooler for that. I think for campers it may have been different i didnt look to hard into the rules for campers since I didnt have a camper. At one of the contests the health dept even checked the sanitizing basin for the proper sanitizer mix.

Both of these contests had a peoples choice category and maybe that is why they have the rules, I really dont know but i got the wash basin set up covered so I havent worried about it. But I did try to figure out a better set up for hand washing station and have read several things about 5 gallon cooler with free flow valve, so that is why I was trying to figure it out.

A few comps here the HD required the 3 bay sink and handwashing station. The comp organizer set up about 5 wash stations around the comp and kept changing out the water. I think it was great and would like to see it at all IBCA and LSBS comps.

I would buy the Cambro coffee/hot water container and bring up the temp to hand washing temp, it works for me.

isn't the hot soapy water bin o.k to wash hands, and rinse in the clean bin o.k?

reason I ask, is I know when you vend you are required by HD to have that 4th sink, but in comps, just common sense hand hygiene, like at home, and gloves would make most people happy.

You can get away with that at some contests buyers not legal even for kcbs. Get a drink cooler and catch basin. Don't wash hands in dish sink unless you immediately change the water and sanitize the basin.

Hd requires you to wash hands before putting on a pai of disposable gloves. What's good required for vending is good for judges unless maybe you want to get even for a score you got .

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea or suggestion for a hand washing station? I figured a 5 gallon cooler with free flow valve would be best, but I cant find any with a free flow valve anymore. They all seem to be the push button type. I even thought I could buy a replacement valve from igloo or coleman or whichever brand I bought, but I cant even find those.

I will be doing some KCBS contests this year and have limited supplies and funds. In other words I probably wont have a camper but will be going with the pop up canopy I already have. I have done some backyard events so I already have the 3 bin wash station,tables,cookers, fire extinguisher etc. but I am stumped on the best hand washing station for the least amount of money and thought the 5 gallon cooler would be best.

Aqua Tainer
http://relianceproducts.com/products/hydration/79.html
I bought mine at Gander Mountain a year ago. Amazon prolly sells it as well.

We carry four polly tubs with us just in case but in the last two years it's never been an issue. Sure hope that continues. We use rubber gloves and disposable wipes religiously! Altough not great from an environmental standpoint it sure is easy.

I would buy the Cambro coffee/hot water container and bring up the temp to hand washing temp, it works for me.

+1 on this idea. The Iowa HD will allow this for a handwashing station when operating under a temporary or farmer's market license. Just have a pump bottle of liquid soap and a roll of paper towels to go along with the Cambro. Fill the container with water as hot as you can get out of the tap and you will be fine for hours. I passed inspections with this for three years before getting my kitchen on wheels. Now I have a coffee urn for catering events. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: pat

I had considered the Cambro coffee dispenser but I was hoping to not have to spend too much and the cheapest i could find for a 5 gallon was $176 and $40 S&h.

You can put a ball valve in a cooler for few bucks. Stop by your local home brew supply store and they can hook you up.

I bought a blue 5 gallon water jug with a turn spout at Ace. For the comps we do they just require free flowing water,a catch basin (in our case, a 5 gallon bucket) a soap dispenser, and a roll of paper towels.

We always have the 3 tubs as per KCBS rules, and I keep the little test strips to make sure the sanitizer concentration is correct. But have never had to use them. We also keep an extra tub, so I can turn on the instant water heater, wash and rinse hands, and turn it off. EZPZ - Will hopefully be better still this year with a real trailer

We always have the 3 tubs as per KCBS rules, and I keep the little test strips to make sure the sanitizer concentration is correct. But have never had to use them. We also keep an extra tub, so I can turn on the instant water heater, wash and rinse hands, and turn it off. EZPZ - Will hopefully be better still this year with a real trailer

But in reality does that have anything to do with handwashing? Seems to me the KCBS rules are stated specifically in regards to your cooking utensils but when it comes to hand washing there are no specific statements.

"Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the
use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water).
Each contestant will provide a separate container for
washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils."

Back