Dangers Of Not Paying Attention (Not A Joke)

K-JUN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
DSC01129.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

I am almost to embarrassed to post this but it's a good precautionary tale.

What you see my friends is what used to be an old bath towel. I am working on some jerky today. I put a small handful of chips into an electric smoker for about 30 min just to give it a kiss of smoke. When the chips were spent I took the chip pan out. I just grabbed the closest thing I saw an old towel that I used to wipe my hands earlier. No big deal it worked fine. My temp was fine so I went inside to do a couple things and when I came out this is what I saw. At first I was like what the frack is this. Then I realized it was the towel I had used. I am not sure if a tinny ember got caught in it or just the heat from the hot metal started it smoldering. But when I looked at it closer I could see it was still glowing. Needless to say I drug the chair out and sprayed it down with the hose. So now as my punishment for not paying attention I have a nice mess to deal with. Then when the wifey gets home I will have to tell her how I could have burned the house down.
I feel pretty stupid but I guess things could have been a lot worse.

YIKES!!! Was the chair really that close to the house? You are lucky lucky! Gland nothing bad happened, one would not think twice about setting something hot on a towel, at least I wouldn't.

On a serious note, I'm on our volunteer Fire Department and I've seen some bad things due to someone taking their attention away from a heat source. Glad all it got was the towel.

It can happen, but, since nobody was hurt, the chair is okay and all, she can only be mad for a little bit.

Thanks for posting - always good to remember we are playing with fire, which can burn stuff. It's necessary to always have a fire extinguisher - handy and fully charged - nearby. Always.

Hey, don't feel bad because we've all done some "stupid" things when playing with fire. Lord knows I have. THANK YOU for the friendly reminder that no matter how experienced we get as bbq'ers. We can still mess up.

Let's see I've burnt a hole in our nice deck. I've caught the entire inside of my smoker on fire. It looked like an old testament sacrificial offering by the time it was done. I've caught my privacy fence on fire and almost had my neighbor not only call the fire department but the PO-lice. But a few smoked rib plates and pulled pork took care of that. :biggrin1:

Good post.

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

I am almost to embarrassed to post this but it's a good precautionary tale.

What you see my friends is what used to be an old bath towel. I am working on some jerky today. I put a small handful of chips into an electric smoker for about 30 min just to give it a kiss of smoke. When the chips were spent I took the chip pan out. I just grabbed the closest thing I saw an old towel that I used to wipe my hands earlier. No big deal it worked fine. My temp was fine so I went inside to do a couple things and when I came out this is what I saw. At first I was like what the frack is this. Then I realized it was the towel I had used. I am not sure if a tinny ember got caught in it or just the heat from the hot metal started it smoldering. But when I looked at it closer I could see it was still glowing. Needless to say I drug the chair out and sprayed it down with the hose. So now as my punishment for not paying attention I have a nice mess to deal with. Then when the wifey gets home I will have to tell her how I could have burned the house down.
I feel pretty stupid but I guess things could have been a lot worse.

I'm just thinking if I had brought the towel inside and tossed it the laundry basket it might have been a much more serious issue.

Hey, don't feel bad because we've all done some "stupid" things when playing with fire. Lord knows I have. THANK YOU for the friendly reminder that no matter how experienced we get as bbq'ers. We can still mess up.

Let's see I've burnt a hole in our nice deck. I've caught the entire inside of my smoker on fire. It looked like an old testament sacrificial offering by the time it was done. I've caught my privacy fence on fire and almost had my neighbor not only call the fire department but the PO-lice. But a few smoked rib plates and pulled pork took care of that. :biggrin1:

Good post.

Holy crap man you do have some track record.

If it was a cotton towel, it probably didn't flame up that much. More of a smolder than a fire. You got lucky.

CD

Back