A Trio of Tri Tips

R

RickyBobby

The machine, the meat, and the fuel!

Not quite ready yet. Weather was really nice today so I thought I'd do some Tri Tips, never done them before.

:lol:

Attachments

• DSCN0130.jpg
    DSCN0130.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0131.jpg
    DSCN0131.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0132.jpg
    DSCN0132.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 85
boy Ricky, that's some good lookin tips you got there.
keep us posted with pron bro :biggrin:

The meat looks great! I have the same model smoker that I started smokin with about 3 weeks ago. Have you modified yours at all?

Mike

A couple hours later.... the family does not understand people are waiting for pictures! About to be foiled.....

Attachments

• DSCN0135.jpg
    DSCN0135.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 55
And after about a 30 minute rest, here is the finshed product. Very delicious, so tender and juicy.

Attachments

• DSCN0136.jpg
    DSCN0136.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 55
I have a stainless steel food service pan that I fill with water, and put that on the very bottom of the main chamber. Then I take the charcoal grate and invert it over the pan of water. Skoootch the inverted charcoal pan all the way to the right, so it just sits on top of the bolts that bolt the firebox to the main chamber.

Keeps the direct fire away from the food that way, and the water helps to regulate the temps in the chamber. I find the temps tend to swing more without the water in the bottom.

The meat looks great! I have the same model smoker that I started smokin with about 3 weeks ago. Have you modified yours at all?

Mike

Tri Tip is a great piece of meat. I'd never even heard of it until a few weeks ago when browsing this site. Yesterday, I was in a wholesale food store, and they had these 12 to 15 pound cryo packs of Tri Tip. So I picked up a bag, smoked 3 tonight and have 5 more in the freezer now.

I paid $2.99 per pound, I have no idea what they usually go for.

Back