Well finished Poor Piggy 2 today. Added paint, ash pan,handles and even got my Weber Slide-A-Side lid holder to work. Now off to find some poor piggy to smoke.
Picture128.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Last edited:
1FUNVET nope those are free brass fittings,free barrel,free casters, free Weber lid,free Weber grates. Did have to buy the thermos ($6.00 each) though. My $12.00 UDS. I have people!

....that's how it goes and that's how I got most of my stuff.
I like the little table thingy with the thermometers,looks real professional.

Help me out here...I've just been using a couple of tin foil baking pans to hold my wood and charcoal (which actually work pretty good but I'd like something more perminant. I found this old chili pot (I think) and drilled some holes in it. Will this work well? Does it need more holes for airflow?
001nox.jpg

002mms.jpg

You can see it sits off the ground a little but I'm think Im still gonna put some bricks or something under it.
004mfc.jpg

1FUNVET nope those are free brass fittings,free barrel,free casters, free Weber lid,free Weber grates. Did have to buy the thermos ($6.00 each) though. My $12.00 UDS. I have people!

I got a charcoal basket ,ash catcher, brass fittings,ball valves, casters,thermometers and barrel at same price-free. Had to spend 25.00 at wally world for their Weber knock off to get the lid and grates.
My people are almost as good as your people.I found out years ago that it's not always what you know, but who you know.:wink:

Yeah as long as there good people. If someone does good for me I'll surely return the favor.

That is one fine lookin cooker. Mine cost well over 15 times that much after buying everything new except the Weber lid.

I need to get me one of those lid hangers. Where did ya get it?

Rich I think I got it on EBay but there getting hard to find. They are out there but you have to do some searching. I love it.

Coach if you do decide to use that I would put a grate in the bottom so you can shake down any ash so the fire doesn't snuff itself out.

Help me out here...I've just been using a couple of tin foil baking pans to hold my wood and charcoal (which actually work pretty good but I'd like something more perminant. I found this old chili pot (I think) and drilled some holes in it. Will this work well? Does it need more holes for airflow?

Dito what Skidder said, and I would drill a lot more holes underneath the charcoal grate.

Last edited:
OK, need a little help here. I think I've attached two pics of my barrel. I'm trying to figure out if I need to burn/grind it out before I move forward. It was closed up and had extra virgin olive oil in it. one pic shows the whole barrel the other shows a spot that I grinded with a wire wheel. I'm thinking it's just straight steel with no liner but I'm second guessing myself and don't want to be serving my family food that I shouldn't be. If anyone has an opinion after looking at these pics I'd appreciate it. I have a pic of the label that I will post next. Thanks

Attachments

• Kate Birth 034.jpg
    Kate Birth 034.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 966
  • Kate Birth 035.jpg
    Kate Birth 035.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 967
No offense jlough, but it was called a UDS way before that bro. Search a little more then post facts. OBTW, that is one of the best build posts on the UDS. Norco is way cool!

Here is the label on the side of the barrel if it means anything. One other side question, the second pic is of my fire box. I used donor bolts and the grate is 3 inches off the bottom. I know Norco suggests that it should be 3.5in but 3 will be fine won't it? Someone just reassure me please. Thanks

Attachments

• Kate Birth 036.jpg
    Kate Birth 036.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 963
  • Kate Birth 038.jpg
    Kate Birth 038.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 969
Hawk if you are sure that that is all that was in the drum i would build away and use it. I cut a top off a drum for Hook Line and Sinker which had some type of bourbon or wiskey in it. Man It smelled great.

I believe JGH1204 coined the name Ugly Drum Smoker, at least as far as this forum is concerned.

Hawk,the black spot in the 2nd pic is that the spot you've allready grinded?
It probably is bare metal then,you can test it by making it wet.
If it rusts you're good to go.

@HawkeyeQue
My barrel looks the same on the inside. I think its liner because te outside of my barrel have rusty spots around but the inside is all clean. I goning tot burn my barrel next week. Then I know for sure.

Back