How much prize money for a first year cookoff?

Babyboomerboy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What are some of the prize amounts you all have seen for a start up BBQ comp? How many teams generally go to a first year event. Our city is pulling together to have a great day with a lot of activities but we have no clue as to how much to offer the GC, RGC, and meat winners. Any help in answering these questions would really be appreciated.

Lincoln Nebraska was 15K this year, and it was their first year. I think 30 or so teams were there.

What are some of the prize amounts you all have seen for a start up BBQ comp? How many teams generally go to a first year event. Our city is pulling together to have a great day with a lot of activities but we have no clue as to how much to offer the GC, RGC, and meat winners. Any help in answering these questions would really be appreciated.

I have seen 2500 and 10,000 for a 1st year event here in CA. I have seen as few as 5 teams (2003) and as many as 22 (2008) to new ones here in CA. A lot will depend on the amout of teams in your area and how many other contest around the same time. you might want to try and have a backyard division too...Try and get the new team who is looking to get their feet wet!

Lincoln Nebraska was 15K this year, and it was their first year. I think 30 or so teams were there.

Man, you put up 15K in CA now and you will get between 40-50 teams!

Man, you put up 15K in CA now and you will get between 40-50 teams!

It was the same weekend as another big contest in Iowa if I remember correctly.

Another first year contest I went to had 2 or 3K in prize money, so it can vary widely. I think 15K is WAY out of the norm.

I would like to see as a competitor at least 5k for the first year, split up nicely among the top three thoughout. 10k would really grab some attention.

I don't really care about whether the contest is a first year contest, I care about the ratio of prize money to teams competing. I like contests that pay 100% of entry fees out in prize money.

26 teams...enough prize money to pay each team 3 times the entry fee. First in each category paid $1250.

I don't really care about whether the contest is a first year contest, I care about the ratio of prize money to teams competing. I like contests that pay 100% of entry fees out in prize money.

26 teams...enough prize money to pay each team 3 times the entry fee. First in each category paid $1250.

Hey, I just looked at your website, you were set up right next to us. Sorry, I dont think that I came over and said "Hi".

Back