View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Default 'Shrooms recipe & peel

Mandarin Peel
Augie, Arlin: I used mandarin peel on the seam of the roll b/c the stuffing kept falling out. The meat wasn't nice and square and I didn't want the cheese melting out. Plus, I just happened to have a couple of mandarins in the fruit bowl. Mandarins have a much thinner peel than oranges so the peel was nice and flexible for wrapping. The peel worked like a charm: kept things from burning (don't ask me how I know), kept the meat moist and added a nice flavor.

Mushroom Caps
Augie, I made the stuffing from a small potato (~1/2 cup cooked & mashed w butter), ~2 T feta cheese, 1 T ground walnuts (added as the mash was a bit wet), parsley, s&p. Also added in the gill trimmings (I saved the stems for stew the next day). After stuffing the caps, I pressed them upside down on a layer of chopped walnuts, righted them and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Baked 20-25 minutes at 450F until the mushrooms got soft and the topping browned. Nice!

PS: Large mushrooms are less work (less trimming). The 6 caps I used were huge at about 2.5" across!