• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New KCBS scoresheet

I asked this earlier but got no response..is it normal to hit all the tables with the same group of teams here is an example from last weekend in Az..we hit every table with the same teams except 1 team on pork and brisket..does this happen every time?

Hi Matt,
The fewer number of tables, the more likely it will happen. There were only 5 tables at your AZ contest so not much opportunity for switching around among the table captains.

Anyone get a new printout yet?..thoughts?

I like it! :thumb: Here's a pic of our pork sheet from yesterday...small contest...only two tables.

1330_639829522695269_1841346598_n.jpg

I find the sheets to be quite informative, don't get me wrong, however, I think they rushed putting the program out, considering training for it occurred the second week of July. According to the mp3 of the July BOD meeting..... With 6 votes for and 4 votes against on July 10th that the program be officially used starting on the 11th, that doesn't seem to give contest reps an ample amount of time to get accustomed to the program. According to the meeting mp3, the reps have had the program for 2 months prior to the training, but, what good does that really do? If you're not trained on it, how do you practice with it???

They've been working on it for three years, what would have been the problem to wait 19 more days and start it on August 1st? Not everyone is as computer savvy as the technology committee.

Last edited:
We had our fist experience with the new score sheets this past weekend. I do like the additional information - HOWEVER - our scores were wrong and the score of at least one other team was wrong.

Here were the issues with our scores:
1. If you add up the 5 highest individual judges scores for pork the total is 162.24. When you look at the Pork scoring sheet the total shows 163.9544. The score for Judge 2 is wrong.
2. When you look at the pork score on the overall sheet it says 162.8000 – No idea where that came from.
3. The Team Detail Report shows we were on table 4 for pork – the pork score sheet shows we were on table 7.

There was another team that won Ribs with a 178.8572 but they actually should have had a 180!! 5 Judges gave them 999.

Bottom Line - Check your new score sheets CAREFULLY!

We had our fist experience with the new score sheets this past weekend. I do like the additional information - HOWEVER - our scores were wrong and the score of at least one other team was wrong.

1. If you add up the 5 highest individual judges scores for pork the total is 162.24. When you look at the Pork scoring sheet the total shows 163.9544. The score for Judge 2 is wrong.
2. When you look at the pork score on the overall sheet it says 162.8000 – No idea where that came from.
3. The Team Detail Report shows we were on table 4 for pork – the pork score sheet shows we were on table 7.

There was another team that won Ribs with a 178.8572 but they actually should have had a 180!! 5 Judges gave them 999.

Great. (sarcasm)

Anyone have input on how to use this sheet to improve your product? We just finished our first comp and left scratching our heads after seeing a 5 and 9 in a single category.

Which contest was this????

We too had the issue with #3. I sent the entire Board an email this morning.

So the new scoring system is getting scores wrong, tables wrong, and the judge tracking system may be tracking the wrong judges? Huh

I like it, I had great ribs and was the #1 on that table but they trashed everyone on the table. Looking over the other categories with one exemptions they beat up on all their boxes. Proves the long held theory..."sometimes it IS the table you end up on!

Last weekend I won my rib table by over 7 points, but ended up 16th of 32. That table placed 16, 23, 29, 30, 31, 32. I'm sure it's possible that the four worst boxes ended up on one table, but not real likely. But, hey, I will spend more time on the boxes that fell in the bottom half of the table and not worry as much about ribs.

I do like the format. While more information will give us more reasons to bitch, the table ranking and ability to see average table scores will help me know were I need to improve and what was probably just a gift table or bad table.

Anyone have input on how to use this sheet to improve your product? We just finished our first comp and left scratching our heads after seeing a 5 and 9 in a single category.

One thing I would look at is how each judge ranked you on the table. If a couple have you at the top and a couple have you at the bottom it could mean that you have a flavor profile that doesn't appeal to everyone or there were problems with a couple of samples. Cooks always think that every sample is the same, but they are not.

Last weekend I won my rib table by over 7 points, but ended up 16th of 32. That table placed 16, 23, 29, 30, 31, 32. I'm sure it's possible that the four worst boxes ended up on one table, but not real likely. But, hey, I will spend more time on the boxes that fell in the bottom half of the table and not worry as much about ribs.

I do like the format. While more information will give us more reasons to bitch, the table ranking and ability to see average table scores will help me know were I need to improve and what was probably just a gift table or bad table.

Your rib average for the year is 163 (four contests from scoreCard) and you scored a 161.68 in that contest. Your highest score for ribs all year is a 165 ... I would work on ribs too.
Not trying to be hard on you just pointing out the misconception of the "table from hell".

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
I agree with Kit. Let the judges draw a number out of a hat. Whatever number they draw that's the table they sit at period.Then it is truly the "Luck of the Draw" just like it is for us cooks when we turn in our entry.

I agree with Kit. Let the judges draw a number out of a hat. Whatever number they draw that's the table they sit at period.Then it is truly the "Luck of the Draw" just like it is for us cooks when we turn in our entry.

And when the random selection puts three Masters on one table and three virgins on another, what then?

I noticed an error (.oo56) in scoring also in one of my categories. New Palestine, IN

There is no value because (1) you don't know the circumstances of those tables and (2) you'll most likely never encounter that set of variables (judges at that table, other entries at that table) again. Back to the roulette example. The odds of any one number coming up are 37-1; if 18 comes up 6 times in a row what are the odds it will come up 18 the next spin? 37-1. The odds always remain the same because they reset every spin. Your contest history within the aspect of judges and tables and all variables (N) is always N=1. It resets every event.

Well said!
The only constant is you, the odds of seeing the same set of judges under the same circumstances is off the charts. If you adjust your style against one or two contest results you will always be chasing your tail.

We are still fairly new to this, 7 comps, and my thinking is that it will take about 10 - 12 to gather up enough data to start tweaking with confidence.

If you change every time you get a bad score, you will have random products with random success.
The best teams cook the same EVERY TIME until they find a consistent flaw in their process. They fix it and they improve.
That is the key to success, not chasing hot tables.

So wait....this new scoring program is not calculating scores properly? Is that right?

This is complete hearsay, and what likely amounts to normal hobnobbing between judges across the tables to pass the time between categories, but it was told to me this past weekend that all the judges were talking about the new system during the contest. That KCBS is tracking their scores across contests. Some judges have already received letters because their judging is way off from the norm and some have been banned. It stuck me as odd and inaccurate, but was curious if anyone could confirm or deny that this was the case?

Your rib average for the year is 163 (four contests from scoreCard) and you scored a 161.68 in that contest. Your highest score for ribs all year is a 165 ... I would work on ribs too.
Not trying to be hard on you just pointing out the misconception of the "table from hell".

Well, this was my 5th ever comp and I've certainly not perfected ribs (or any other category). I changed my rib cook after Kearney and have gone 11/32, 7/34, and 16/32 with a table win since then. I'm just more concerned with the categories that have been inconsistent and ranking 4th or 5th at the table.

Back